US Politics

Change for the better is progress. Changing laws back to what they were over 50 years ago is regression. Do you think America is doing a good job with gun control and a health system which is extraordinarily unaffordable for the majority?

6 Likes

Progress is supposed to stop problems, not move the goal posts somewhere else.

The majority of times progress does stop problems and improve life.

1 Like

Bloodbath for who?

Have you seen how midterms usually go?

1 Like

In the “Trump Bubble” they will try to convince people it was a “Bloodbath” but people with common sense and logic know the republicans didn’t do anywhere near as well as had been predicted of them. But you know what are facts in a post-Trump world.

No, you need to be better acquainted with how mid-terms go.

You need to look at what historically happens in mid-terms and compare the usual swings against incumbent Presidents. Clinton lost 54 seats to Republicans in his first mid-term. Obama had a net loss of over 60 in his first mid-term. In recent decades George W Bush did the best with a net gain of 8 in his first mid-term, but then lost 34 in his next term.

This is truly a remarkable result for the current Democrats even if they do narrowly lose control of both houses. I do agree with other posters however that it is largely a vote AGAINST the Republican party and Trump in particular.

Because voting isn’t compulsory for a start - so polls will be inherently less accurate.

1 Like

There was an interesting discussion on this on Planet America tonight including that there are fewer non-partisan polls each year as pollsters are giving up and more partisan polls.

Usually the incumbent party loses dozens of Hiuse seats in a midterm save for 2002 with Bush being still popular after 9/11

1994 Clinton (-54)
2010 Obama (-63)
2018 Trump (-42)

1 Like

That was 2016

Trump not taking the results well.

2 Likes

He got slaughtered in the 2006 mid-terms due to people’s unsatisfaction with the War in Iraq.

I am talking about during their first terms. Obama lost the Senate during his 2nd term

I hardly think being deadlocked with the republicans for house seats or senate a win for either party but I think most conservatives by the looks of it have had enough of the trump cult infiltrating their party.
But it will be interesting to see how this plays out though .

The only time I saw Democrats wipe out the mid terms of republicans was in 2006 with the shot following the war in Iraq.
They need more of those numbers again!

CNN reporting 160K ballots still to be counted in NV

No, it is remarkable because everyone thought the Republicans were going to sweep the board - but they haven’t. It’s kind of like how the Coalition won the ‘unwinnable’ 2019 election (albeit by such a small majority).

Murdoch has really fallen off the Tramp band wagon.

2 Likes

Once the great supporters of Trump. Now they just mock him.