US Politics

I suspect you don’t really know enough about the politics to know how damaging his predidency has been. You’re dazzled by his rhetoric.

4 Likes

Just ignore him. He just dishes out his insults when people disagree with him and insults everyone to be a trump supporter when in fact people aren’t. He is drunk the rehotiric cool aid of labelling people when they don’t match his political view.

Looks like republicans can flip the senate to republicans control. They only need like two seats, if that’s the case prepare for a lot of more shit from both sides of the political parties.

This is probably going to be a shit night for the Democrats. It tells me that they still have not learned the lessons over the last ten years. Now all the republicans need to do is to turn on Trump…then they may be at least more respectable in my opinion.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/08/politics/2022-midterm-election-historic-firsts/index.html

This the thing that a lot of right wing supporters can’t understand. I don’t have any issue with anyone supporting the right (people can support whoever they want) but Trump is dangerous and his party now think they have to follow his level of crazy in order to win. Any sanity the GOP once had is long gone.

DeSantis and Cruz being perfect examples of playing the follow the leader game. They’re not the only ones though and the sad and scary thing is they actually have support.

The Democrats haven’t done a good job while being in control of things and that is why we will see this swing to the GOP. Which is horrifying because we know where things will go if that is how this plays out.

3 Likes

I won’t argue with that, the democrats haven’t done the amazing job that was promised and I don’t think this is going to give them the wake up call that they need. I predict nothing but tragedy and disaster for the 2024 for the election if the Democrats don’t wake up and smell the fossils.

I’m very much a left supporter. Labor in Australia and the Democrats in the US. The Democrats have done a terrible job for the past couple of years.

Not helped by Manchin and Sinema who refused to support their party when they needed them the most.

They blew their chance at keeping control and now they will lose it. I would love to be wrong on that but it doesn’t seem like it.

Mostly yes but the FUD game the GOP are playing is also working. They blame Biden for “gas” prices when it has nothing to do with him but Americans believe that it does. They use the “dems are coming for your guns” tactic which is always a winner for them. Religion shouldn’t have any role in politics but it does and that’s why we see the religious right putting so much focus on abortion. Then they scare them all more saying the illegal immigrants are taking their jobs. And on and on I could go.

The Republican game is now scaring their base. And it is working.

If Biden runs again the Democrats are royally fucked. He needs to step aside and let someone else have a go. If Biden goes against Trump again then Trump is guaranteed to win.

Needs to be Elizabeth Warren or (unlikely) Bernie Sanders. Kamala Harris, although good at what she’s doing right now, could be a divisive option.

Or maybe what the Democrats needs someone who is the Trump of the left so they can tackle orange bozo head-to-head. That would make a fascinating contest. Right now the Democrats is just falling for everything those Republicans are going at them for. They need to rise and beat them at their own game.

What? This is a remarkable result for the dems. What was touted as a potential red wave has turned into a red trickle.

2 Likes

The fact that GOP allowed Trump to run for presidency back in 2014, shows the party lacked decent people from its own membership that could lead America for the next decade.

At this week’s Midterm elections, they relied on the same old trick of blame game, conspiracies and lies to convince people for vote for them. It is also sad that many Americans support these tactics and vote for Republicans.

If Republicans gain control of both houses of Congress, then win the 2024 presidential election, it will be a disaster not only for the US, but for large parts of the world as well.

AOC vs Trump would make for an “interesting” race. She will be eligible to run for President in 2024.

:joy:

A remarkable result would mean a result favouring the Democrats. They’re going to lose control of the House. There is nothing remarkable about that for the Dems.

Historically didn’t both Republican and Democrat presidents and their parties suffer in the mid-terms (bar a few exceptions like Clinton and Bush Jr)? I think they are probably relieved (even though they shouldn’t be) that they didn’t get wiped in the mid-terms like they were predicted to by polls and history alike.

I feel like I’ve entered the twilight zone.

Things do look much better for the Democrats right now. The House majority looks to be lost but unless there’s a major upset it looks like the Senate may stay 50-50.

I can’t say I expected this from everything we have been hearing. The red wave isn’t there.

1 Like

Dems have flipped at least 2 seats in the house. So much for an alleged red wave.

CNN calling Pennsylvania for Fetterman. That seems like a pick up.

Looks like the House is very tight and most likely will go to Republicans.

The senate is still close to call.

All Australian journalists are useless at the analysis for this election. If you drill down the numbers it’s actually very very interesting and tells a different narrative from the headlines.

1 Like

Polls are incorrect. 538 had the Republicans winning both chambers last night. Only poll which matters is the election.

1 Like

How are American pollsters so bad? With the amount of resources, money and interest in the polls you’d think they could sort themselves out. Every election since 2016 republicans have significantly out-performed polls, now the polls are overestimating republicans??

The polls are fucked. The republicans flooded the zone with rubbish polls and 538 and Real clear politics average of polls have been skewed.

The analysis of this election has been incorrect in much of the media.

No senate seats have been flipped by republicans yet: dems have picked up one.

The dems have flipped two Ohio house seats. Unheard of.

The dems have outperformed all predictions.

Edit: MSNBC reporting that the Dems have moved into 49% of holding the house. The numbers have shifted dramatically.

3 Likes

The way I see it this result isn’t so much about the Democrats being rewarded, this is about the Republicans being punished. As was previously mentioned historically the midterms punish the sitting President. That doesn’t seem to be happening here.

I had to turn on Fox News to see how they were reacting and to my surprise they were saying exactly that - that this result is a clear message to Republicans that voters are not happy with them.

2 Likes

I know it is called progressive, but they aren’t necessarily “progress”, just another side on the political spectrum. I dislike it how the term seems to be used to justify the left’s way of thinking, as if it is the only genuine way forward.

1 Like

AOC is someone who terrifies me about as much as Donald Trump terrifies most of this forum.

To be clear, I have great respect for the fact that she firmly believes in things and seems to stand by her principles. I disagree with most of her ideals but am glad she is there to honestly make a case for them.

AOC vs Trump would be a fascinating contest and provide real choice for the future direction of the country. Just as I think Bernie Sanders vs Trump would have been a better contest in 2016 than Clinton vs Trump.

Sadly I think both party establishments are somewhat afraid of people who actually want to change things.