TV show ideas

Blue Heelers: The Movie
Based on the Australian television series of the same name, this made-for-television movie is set in 1971 and focused on the trials and tribulations of young Tom Croydon (originally played by John Wood in the series), a probationary constable fresh from the Victoria Police Academy.

What do you think of the idea?

4 Likes

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning will air Sundays from 8.00am to 10.00am on Seven. The program takes a look at news, current affairs and hot topics, with debate between panelists being the drawcard to the program. It will go up against Insiders on the ABC with the aim of beating it in the ratings.

The program will be hosted by Michael Usher, featuring panelists Miranda Devine, Mark Latham, Van Badham and Jane Caro.

This means Weekend Sunrise would be axed, with Sunday Morning filling the void on Sundays and reruns of Saturday Disney on Saturdays.

4 Likes

Um, I don’t think that exists now.

I like the idea of the show, but why wouldn’t you have it start at 9:30 on Sunday and run Weekend Sunrise up to it, and on normal time on Saturdays.

2 Likes

Hence I said they should air old episodes of it.

That’s not how that would work. Why do you think they dumped it? And they would need the rights back, etc.

4 Likes

I think it needs to have a one hour headstart on Insiders on the ABC. But yeah, could keep Weekend Sunrise on Saturdays and brand it as ‘Saturday Sunrise’.

Seven could air something on Sundays from 10am instead of The Morning Show Highlights Edition (in NRL States) which will go against Sports Sunday on Nine and Offsiders on the ABC. Seven used to air AFL Game Day in that 10am slot in the AFL cities, but am not sure if any AFL-related programs aired there in the last year or two…

Sorry but this sounds awful.
Miranda Devine, Mark Latham, Van Badham? What a horrendous way to start a Sunday.

4 Likes

Having those controversial personalities on the show is the whole idea - generating headlines and vigorous debate. I find a lot of the guests and content on Weekend Sunrise these days to be very plain and dry. Always good viewing when Andrew O’Keefe used to get into arguments with the guests, it made for great television IMO.

Sorry but those times were not good TV. AOK had to contend with that nutbag Latham rambling on and on whilst the others just shout over each other. Not a fan of the likes of Latham, Devine or Badham and what’s wrong with something a bit more ordinary and relaxing to start Sundays?

Plus Outsiders on Sky had already covered that market with 3 right wing pundits shouting and acting childish with their opinions. Seven would be wise to steer clear of that.

2 Likes

After their leaked video discussing Novak Djokovic went viral, wouldn’t it be cool if Seven got Mike and Bec on-air for 10-15 mins each weeknight giving their honest opinions on news items of the day. Make it as relaxed as possible - have them pour a glass of wine, crack open a beer, indulge in some chocolate etc. No rules or broadcasting standards on this program. It would appeal to the average person like two mates are catching up and gossiping over a glass of wine or a beer. Seriously, would be great viewing!

3 Likes

It’s just the Camera 1 feed (studio with studio audio) on 7Plus between 6-7pm. What’s everyone’s thinking during the news.

Bit of a fantasy idea, but having watched Celebrity Letters and Numbers (which I’ve found to be underwhelming and flat) I can’t help but feel that one of the networks would be better off doing a local adaptation of 8 Out of 10 Cats does Countdown which is probably one of the most popular shows on Channel 4 and is driving a lot of conversation on the internet.

Obviously because it’s based off of the cast of 8 Out of 10 Cats in the UK doing Countdown, our version could involve a team like The Chasers, The Weekly or Mad as Hell (or maybe even get the Working Dog team onboard). If not, they could just adopt the UK show’s 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown brand and incorporate our local comedians into it. I’d look at someone like Adam Hills or Mark Humphries to host along with the likes of Nikki Osborne as team captains.

1 Like

Some new programs for Seven to replace the Morning and Afternoon News bulletins:

Money News
Airs Monday to Thursday from 11.30am to 12.00pm hosted by Gemma Acton. The program covers business, economic, finance and real estate news.

Sports News
Airs Friday from 11.30am to 12.00pm hosted by Jacqui Felgate and Luke Darcy, live outside the MCG. The program covers the latest sports news from the week and what’s coming up on the weekend.

The Interview
Airs Monday from 4.00pm to 5.00pm hosted by Rebecca Maddern. Each week, Bec speaks to a different Australian ‘celebrity’ (such as a sports person, media personality, actor etc.) on their journey so far.

Hinch
Airs Tuesday from 4.00pm to 5.00pm featuring Derryn Hinch and hosted by 7NEWS anchor Peter Mitchell. This program features Derryn giving commentary on current affairs and news, and speaking to newsmakers and politicians.

Jane’s Weather
Airs Wednesday from 4.00pm to 4.30pm hosted by 7NEWS meteorologist Jane Bunn. This program covers all things weather, looking ahead to the 7-day outlook, in-depth forecasts and analysis for all of Australia, and looking back at historical weather events.

Showbiz
Airs Wednesday from 4.30pm to 5.00pm featuring entertainment reporter Peter Ford and hosted by 7NEWS anchor Peter Mitchell. This program covers the latest showbiz, gossip, entertainment, television and celebrity news.

Three Blokes Unfiltered
Airs Thursday from 4.00pm to 5.00pm hosted by radio hosts and comedians Sam Pang, Tony Moclair and comedian and joke writer on The Front Bar, John Origlasso. This program takes a comedic look at the news of the week, with lots of laughs a guarantee. It would be a similar format to The Front Bar and be filmed out of the same set, except they would be discussing news issues.

The Friday Showdown
Airs Friday from 4.00pm to 5.00pm hosted by Sky News host Rita Panahi and Melbourne Deputy Lord Mayor Nicholas Reece. This program sees the two of them go head-to-head sharing their views on topical issues.

1 Like

@FootyKick These are nice ideas, but there will be no audience for these in the middle of the day, also what will happen to morning and afternoon news?

1 Like

Just an idea to shake things up in Seven’s daytime schedules. As a result, the Morning and Afternoon News would be axed.

Back in my home country, I have an idea for a New Zealand police drama series.

Called The Cheese, the series will be loosely based on the British series The Bill (1983-2010). It was the longest-running police procedural television series in the United Kingdom, and among the longest running of any British television series at the time of its cancellation.

The Cheese, like The Bill, will be set in inner-city police station in central Auckland and focused on the lives and work of one shift of police officers, rather than on any particular aspect of police work. The series will be produced as 26 x 1 hour episodes with a weekly 8.30pm timeslot and a 16 classification (i.e. people under 16 years should not view; may contain violence, coarse language and offensive content).

The title originates from “Cheese”, a slang term for the police in New Zealand - especially in the Auckland area where police officers may be referred to as “The Cheese”.

Sounds cheesy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: More suitable for a drama series that is set in the Bega factory.

1 Like

Whatever you say, @JBar!

I say “cheese!” :grin:

1 Like