TV show ideas

On a main channel (maybe 6:30pm at night) or on a secondary channel?

It was 30 years ago and the charges were dropped.

3 Likes

24 Hour Cook-Off - screened in real time where 6 teams (each team representing a state) compete and attempt to ā€œsellā€ their goods to members of the public - highest sales wins.

This could say for example screen on 10Peach from 6:30pm Saturday to 6:30pm Sunday with an edited version on Ten at 7:30pm til 9pm on Sunday

wasnā€™t referring to ā€œcriminalā€ pastsā€¦ - just that he has always be outspoken (yet more flamboyant) than John Laws

Depends which network is willing to give the idea a go.

Are they selling cooked meals or am I misinterpreting cook-off?

Well if SBS can do a marathon screening of The Ghan then this could work.

Similar to a series that was on SBS where people cooked their goods and sold them from a caravan

much like a marketing exercise, only done in real time

I see. I like carnival food so it could work. Not sure about the real time though, would get rather boring. These current cooking shows are only really captivating thanks to editing and dramatic effect.

i mean, can u imagine My Kitchen Rules in real time?

but then you would be seeing each state at different times, not necessarily at the same time (in other words, might not quite be in real time (eg if there is baking disaster - it could be on delay)

Iā€™m pretty sure your idea has been done before for major political and news events. I think it was called something similar to ā€œyourā€ idea :neutral_face:

Wasnā€™t it called This Fabulous Century or something?

I have already discussed this in ā€œMock Schedulesā€, but Channel Nine should adopt a local version of Tipping Point (UK audiences will be familiar with the format) to replace the aging Millionaire Hot Seat.

The show starts with four contestants, and each contestant is eliminated as the round progresses to the point where only one is left for the final round.

For an explanation of the rules, read this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping_Point_(game_show)

Variations to the Australian format would include -

• In standard episodes, counters dropped into the win zone are worth $500, with a jackpot of $100,000. Double counters and mystery counters are both present.
  • In celebrity episodes, counters dropped into the win zone are worth $1,000, with a jackpot of $250,000. Unlike the UK version, where there is no double counter, it would still be present in the Aussie version giving celebrities the potential to win up to $500,000 for charity. Also, four celebrity contestants will start the game (as opposed to three in the UK celebrity episodes) and those who leave the game before the finale get to keep their money which they will donate to charity.
  • David Campbell would host.
  • Live audiences would be present in the celebrity episodes, sitting behind the contestants.
  • Episodes would be filmed in Melbourne.
  • Regular episodes would air on Mondays-Fridays at 5:00pm before Nine News.

Program format is as follows -

Block 1 - round 1, part 1
Block 2 - round 1, part 2
Block 3 - round 2
Block 4 - round 3, part 1
Block 5 - round 3, part 2
Block 6 - final round
News Preview before decision time

Celebrity episodes would air at random times during Nineā€™s schedule, on Saturday nights at 7:30pm (not every Saturday night, though). News update would be omitted from Block 6. You could have former NRL players, Nine identities, newsreaders etc. competing for their charities.

Here is a typical episode -

No thanks. Tipping Point ranks as one of the most god awful, tedious game shows Iā€™ve ever watched. Almost as bad as Shafted and that was diabolical.

Iā€™m actually excited about the return of Press Your Luck to American television this week. Its run on Australian television in the late '80s with Ian Turpie as host was too brief.

1 Like

Agreed on all levels. I feel the best way forward for Nine would be to either cut Hot Seat back to half an hour and produce either Catchphrase, Press Your Luck, The Price Is Right or Sale Of The Century in the other half hour slot between 5pm and 6pm. Ten should also consider one of those formats as well, given that they are again making the same mistake again with Celebrity Name Game that they made with Family Feud - too many encores too quickly.

Whatever game show Ten chooses, they should consider it for late afternoon (somewhere between 3:30pm and 5pm) for the main channel and then encore it at 7pm on 10Peach straight after Neighbours. Then leave the encores for the non-ratings period.

Maybe they should look at doing something completely new like Still Standing, Pyramid or Rouk Zouk.

Whatever Nine and Ten do, it needs to be different to Seven.

Between 4pm and 7pm weekdays Seven and Nine are almost clones of each other

1 Like

I have 3 ideas for very similar dating formats (the first will seem very familiar)

1. Perfect Match - revive this gem with a likeable host, with the original format 2 rounds plus an interview with a previous couple - possible host Gretel Killeen

2. Make It A Date - This program could focus on matchmaking for those in the LGBT community, same format as Perfect Match - 2 rounds plus an interview with a previous couple - possibly program for a secondary channel or SBS - possible host Tim Campbell

3. Second Chance - A dating program for divorcees and single parents, similar format to Perfect Match but questions could be more family focused - possible host Magda Szubanski

Alternatively all 3 formats above could be blended into a format called Matchmakers and screen on Friday or Saturday nights at 7pm or 7:30pm

Why do most of your programming ideas seem to be relics of the 1980s? I also think weā€™ve got far too many dating/relationship-themed programs on TV, so wouldnā€™t be in favour of new ones.

Probably the only concept of yours I really like so far is ā€œOn This Dayā€ and even thatā€™s something I think would work far better as a short segment during the news or as an online feature instead of a fully fledged program.

But enough of my whining. Hereā€™s some brief summaries of a couple of program concepts (yes, centred around the media) I wouldnā€™t mind watching on TV:

The Youth Radio Group: 10 episode series taking viewers behind the scenes of a community radio stationā€™s youth programming co-operative across a three year period. Centred around six hosts aged 16 to 25 from a variety of backgrounds, this scripted series follows the stories and characters that shape the output of three weekly radio programs - live Friday night news review & lifestyle program City This Week, pre-recorded Sunday morning interview show Speak Up! and Saturday night music program Play it Now!.

Sydney Life: Series based around a networkā€™s attempt to reboot their former (1988-2008) local news lead-in program after a decade off air. A key storyline in this one is a former Sydney Life presenterā€™s attempts to revive their media career in Australiaā€™s largest market after fading into obscurity (having only done stints of TV news reporting and breakfast radio in country areas over a period of 15-20 years) following a spectacular on-air meltdown which saw them controversially removed from the show.

Thoughts, comments and criticisms are welcome. If thereā€™s enough interest, Iā€™ll probably try and expand further on these concepts + add new ones at a later date.

3 Likes