TV/Media Vehicles

4WD’s are a lot more versatile. You can’t exactly drive a car up a gutter when needing to pull over quickly at a scene, or when chasing a story offroad outside of suburban areas.

2 Likes

And that very few manufacturers make station wagons anymore.

It’s nearly ALL SUVs now.

3 Likes

Station wagons were all the rage, especially for news cars. Until the stopped being made and SUVs have taken over.

1 Like

It’s a shame really, because wagons are better to drive, cheaper to make, have more room and are safer than SUVs.

The irony of SUVs is that one reason why people buy them is the higher seating position so you can see out more, but that advantage goes out the window when everyone started buying them. Lol.

2 Likes

Stationwagons are still being manufactured.

And you’re spot-on,

is exactly why they’re outselling wagons.

Oh, well there you go. I could only find the i40.

1 Like

There’s only a few around.

Mazda 6 has a Touring wagon, and the imported Commodore has a Sportwagon, though they are shorter than the sedan, and are more like a large hatch

Volkswagon still has a full size Passat wagon though.

1 Like

ABC, Nine, Ten and Seven at the State of Origin.

12 Likes

Looks like Nine has the smallest car of them all!

That’s an old school landcruiser

1 Like

I’m guessing they were all given allocated parking in that one spot opposite the station. If you park in the wrong spot or overstay at Sydney Olympic Park the rangers will book you very quickly.

3 Likes

Nine uses newer model Toyota Klugers for regular news-gathering. They kept the Land cruisers as sat cars because it isn’t worth investing in that technology anymore.

Most live crosses are done now with Dejero systems over the mobile network, except maybe a Today Show broadcast and a series of live crosses in one location.

7 Likes

one must read this in a David Attenborough voice to get the joke

Here, in its natural habitat, is the NBN News vehicle. Devoid of any local pride, one must ask themselves, is it on the endangered list? Probably.

9 Likes

It still has an NBN logo on it, how is it ‘devoid of local pride’?

2 Likes

feel lucky yours have livery. none of the metro crew cars do any more.

Aside from me being a dickhead, remember when it was decked out in red and blue? Knights colours? Or when they had the old circle logo in the city’s colours (fun fact: Newcastle’s city colours are green, brown and blue, not red and blue).

I reckon they could jazz it up a little bit. Maybe a decal of the news team on it and “Every Night At Six” on the side?

2 Likes

Why is that?

Attenborough would contend they are no longer red and blue because of coral bleaching.

4 Likes

Well played sir.

So people can’t identify the network for shows like A Current Affair and 60 Minutes.

Most cars have a livery, but a handful don’t.