TV/Media Vehicles

Looks like more effort on that 7 car than in Tasmania. Saw a 7 Tasmania car for the first itme in Devonport last week when ScoMo was in town. Didn’t get a chance to get a photo but from what I saw it looked like it was just a plain white car with 7 TASMANIA on the side. No mention of the news or anything like the old SC ones had.

2 Likes

Sounds like NTD, only has side 9 News logo and massive 9 logo on the bonnet

Out of interest did the ABC ever invest in a fleet of news helicopters?

I remember reading on here that there was an uproar about them spending money on this.

In Melbourne and Sydney they did. Think they’ve been contracted out for a few years now. Perhaps since the Lake Eyre crash?
I grew up in Melbourne’s sandbelt and recall watching the ABC news chopper - early on quite colourful later silver with an orange logo - flying low over the nearby golf courses before tournaments getting those swooping shots of the fairways, redundant now with modern computer graphics.

1 Like

Here’s one I’m sure @lexington will be pretty happy to see, a 10 News First van made a brief appearance during the (blue-eyed, of course) live cross to Suncorp Stadium on Nine News Sydney at 4pm!

8 Likes

10 should go back to calling the vans “Live Eye”.

1 Like

they still are.

Ok. I can’t see it on the side of that van.

Thanks for the cap!

Also, if that car on the left is a Media Company’s vehicle it has to be pushing 30 years old. Looks like an EB-ED Falcon (C. 1988-94), although I could be very wrong.

I think that one actually a promotional State of Origin vehicle - had Queensland team sponsors on it.

2 Likes

oh, not on the van - but internally.

1 Like

Spotted this NBN News 4WD in my suburb today. Though WHY it’s a 4WD for a suburban report beats me

I also noted the “Sydney City Mitsubishi” sticker below the wiper blade. Must be using NEC contracts for vehicles now.

6 Likes

What does it matter whether it’s a 4WD or not.

5 Likes

Probably not much!

Late 1960s or early 70s?

From Peter Hitchener’s twitter

13 Likes

For going up the Barringtons. ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Though given its a Sunday when fewer reporters are on duty, I thought other vehicles would have been available?

And that it would be quicker to get from Taree to the Barringtons, so base such a vehicle there?

I’m being a dickhead, as per usual (you oughta know that by now). To be honest, if it was speed they’re after, they’d be going around in some hotted up V8 or riceburner (like the excellent i30 :wink: ).

1 Like

You’ll find that 4WD’s are the only ones with enough space for all the equipment.

It’s why every news car in Brisbane is a Kluger - although 7 have Trailblazers now (the Holden wagon type one…)

2 Likes

ATV used to have wagons that could store everything but they were getting quite old when I last saw them.

1 Like