General TV History

Just a few small shows you may not have heard of. ACA, Witness, 60 Minutes, Sunday, Dateline…

7 Likes

Not so much Sunday, but obviously every man and his dog here knows ACA and 60mins.

Obviously.

1 Like

The last ever Still the One video shoot. Sadly most of the presenters are no longer with Nine or have retired

2 Likes

…or in the case of Richie Benaud and Richard Carleton, sadly no longer with us at all! :cry:

4 Likes

Few presenters are currently with Nine from that video

1 Like

While many have left Nine since 2006, there’s still a dozen or so presenters in that clip who are still there today and a few who were still on our screens until relatively recently.

1 Like

Networks definitely don’t make promos now like they used to, this still looks great now even 11 years ago.

Quite funny seeing people like Fergo, Rowe, Ghidella etc in this considering their respective positions now

• made me think that it feels like it’s been quite a while since any major presenters have jumped ship.
3 Likes

Michael Usher was quite a big surprise.

4 Likes

What I find perhaps even more interesting than how many presenters have left Nine since 2006, is this earlier version of that “Still The One” promo we never got to see on air:

Presumably produced in late 2005 before Jessica Rowe moved over to Nine, since there’s scenes of Karl Stefanovic & Tracy Grimshaw dancing together. David Reyne and Hellen Dalley who both left Nine by Early 2006 also make appearances in that clip! Judging by the lack of a logo at the end, I wonder if that early version was also produced even before Nine decided which style of logo they’d be using in 2006?

Mind you, that’s not the only example online of TV branding elements we never got to see on-screen:

In this Vimeo showreel from zSpace for Nine’s “We Heart TV” relaunch branding of 2008, promotional footage of Toni Perrin (who of course left Nine by the time the new branding launched on screen, with Shelly Craft taking her spot as host of Australia’s Funniest Home Videos) and some slightly different looking graphics to what was seen on screen.

Things like this make me wonder what other elements for new branding packages (or even entire On-Air Presentation packages) the networks have commissioned over the years, only not to make it to air in the end.

3 Likes

There’s some presentation elements for Seven’s 2012 - 2015 look which never made it on-air.

Sadly many great parts of presentation are cut when the network begins adapting the commissioned work to itself.

4 Likes

That’s true.

Channel Nine’s 2001 On-Air Presentation package is probably another good example of this, with some versions of the theme music and even one or two entire Idents (there was an unused “Film Projector” Ident which IMO, would’ve made for an absolutely fantastic Movie Opener - although the Movie Opener Nine actually used in 2001-02 was still good) which never made it to air!

2 Likes

Fergo is singing? Never thought he would.

1 Like

Even has the WIN/9 version for Perth and Adelaide, nice.

7 Likes

One of the worst ever news intros in Australia at least. Rivals the 2006 National Nine News Adelaide opener.

2 Likes

Imagine if TEN did a similar thing in this era. There would be no one left by now.

1 Like

Could be as bad as Nine News’ short lived 2008 opener.

1 Like

I actually don’t think it’s that bad? Just me? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh look, TV0 is hiring…

7 Likes