General TV History

Is the Craig Campbell that collected a Logie the other night (with the Project team I think) the same CC who was a children’s tv host back in the 1980s?

I believe so

Hard to find any photos of him on the internet, just a few references.
The fellow I saw walk across the stage was very different to how I recall him as a young man…but then we’ve all changed over the years I guess.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but why was Jim Waley dumped from Nine again? He was a good presenter IMO (a bit like Hendo) but why oust him for Ferguson?

Was it all due to Roscoe on Seven being popular?

Didn’t he retire at the end of 2004, only to come out of retirement a few years later with Sky News? And I’m pretty sure Nine Sydney still won the 2004 year even though Seven were gaining ground on them.

1 Like

Yeah, I believe that Jim Waley came out of retirement for maybe a year or so to present Sky News Australia’s main evening bulletin - “Sky National News” they positioned it as.

In hindsight I think Seven News Sydney probably still would’ve gotten the #1 spot at some point even if the Waley/Ferguson switch didn’t happen when it did, but Nine might’ve been a more competitive #2 than it was at times during the Late 2000s (IIRC, ABC News was actually #2 in Sydney during 2008!).

That said, I don’t think we would still have been seeing Jim Waley leading Nine’s Sydney 6pm bulletin to this day if he stayed after Late 2004/Early 2005. After about 2008 or 2009, we probably would’ve eventually seen either Overton, Usher or Ferguson take over Nine’s Sydney 6pm bulletin no matter what IMO.

1 Like

Who was Seven’s main three choices of anchors during the Ian Ross era? Was it Roscoe, Bathie and Chris Reason/Samantha Armytage?

About Overton, I personally felt a bit of surprise to find a 60mins reporter take over the prominent role when he started. I’ve never really liked him in the early days, but glad to say I do think he is the best presenter in Australia.

1 Like

That sounds about right although from about the time Roscoe took over until 2006, Ann Sanders was reading Sydney’s weekend news.

I think it’s fair to say that Peter Overton has fine tuned his newsreading style and had gotten much more comfortable in the chair since being given the prominent role, especially in recent years. Peter Overton’s bantering with Ken Sutcliffe during his later years was genuine and over time, I’d expect something similar to develop with Cameron Williams.

1 Like

I agree. Peter Overton has the grasps of a very serious newsreader during breaking news, but is also able to be humourous and compassionate at the same time. I recall many people saying Jim Waley, who was Hendo’s successor, was quite stiff and reserved especially against Roscoe on Seven, maybe that’s what led to ratings disaster for Nine?

3 Likes

’The new face of Seven News is Ian Ross’
He came out of retirement in 2003 to read the news on 7 News Sydney. The ratings have soared, taking the news bulletins to a number 1. What I do like about him was that he has a good rapport towards colleagues and staff.

1 Like

Yep. However, I have always wondered how the ratings would’ve been if Nine kept Jim Waley as their main anchor all the way till Roscoe’s final retirement or used Overton instead of Ferguson as Waley’s successor in 2005.

1 Like

LOL @ the audio talkback

“ROLL! ROLL THE F…”

10 Likes

I didn’t realise that the 1989 Seven logo had been used by this ABC affiliate in Washington since 1970.

4 Likes

The old rainbow rounded 7 was better IMO :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

I preferred that logo as well and never liked this one.

2 Likes

Just trying to imagine what Seven’s promos in the 90’s would look like had they stuck with the Rainbow 7 logo.

More than that, the original ATN-7 logo is the same as that currently used by ABC Channel 7 in the USA.

Commercial networks have used so many logos, themes and promos from their US counterparts…

1 Like

Some of the older logos have been used by US stations IIRC.

1 Like

There was a bit of argument in the ABC News thread a few days ago about who came up with the idea with the news ticker. Someone said CNN or Fox News after 9/11.

The actual answer: NBC on January 14 1952. Not too shabby looking, either!

6 Likes