General TV History

Somehow, Ten thought one of the best ways to promote their early 2008 schedule was a newspaper DVD featuring sneak peeks and full episodes! (Images are taken from eBay, not me)
s-l1600
s-l1600

4 Likes

Channel 9 did the same. I have their DVD effort somewhere…

EDIT: Found it…

As well as Pushing Daisies (which 9 never ended up showing AFAIK) the disc included previews of A Year With The Royal Family, Underbelly, Canal Road, Cashmere Mafia and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

2 Likes

A couple of 10 promos from early 2009 taken from 10HD

2 Likes

DVD’s were the best way to promote things back then, you certainly couldn’t download things easily and catch up TV didn’t start until later on in 2008 and was still buggy, not great for many people still with slower internet connections.

3 Likes

Yeah, online video was certainly around in Early 2008 but it was nowhere near broadcast quality compared to now.

1 Like

Funny to see the term “free - view”, not long prior to FTA forming Freeview as an organisation/brand.

And @Aaron_Evans_2005, it may be tough to understand as a 13 year old but internet speeds were still really poor back then - YouTube was available but still very much in its infancy (networks would have baulked at using it for this purpose) and at the very best people had ADSL2, but a significant percentage of the population had ADSL1 of 1.5mbps or lower which was impossible to stream content on.

8 Likes

I remember watching Pushing Daisies on Nine or perhaps it was on Go.

1 Like

Not unless they had repeat rights later on.

2 Likes

think it was on GO!

1 Like

Found this interesting eBay listing for ‘The Simpsons’ broadcast tapes from Channel Ten:

4 Likes

Let me guess…@Sifon has made a bid? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

The description seems to imply these are all promos? Surprised they sat on them for so long.

2 Likes

I read that as I’m full episodes for TV writers etc to review or advertisers. Used to work with someone who knew someone in sales at GTV and they often passed on tapes and later dvds.

3 Likes

Amazing what stuff just ends up gathering dust in office storage until someone decides to do a clean out. I had one channel contact me to ask if i was interested in a box of old TV Week magazines from the 1990s they had found while clearing out. Had just been sitting in a cupboard somewhere all this time…

6 Likes

One man’s junk is another man’s treasure they say.

4 Likes

In 2005, Channel Nine might’ve gotten a bit too overhyped for 2006 (TCN celebrates 50 years), so they decided to celebrate it a year early and make 6 documentaries about their history. Those being Five Fantastic Decades, The Fabulous Fifties, The Swingin’ Sixties, The Sexy Seventies, The Exciting Eighties and The Nineties to Now. They got a few collected DVD releases:

Plain original 2 disc release:
image-2

6 disc “Collector’s Album” , a special given in News Corp newspapers (they do this quite often even once in a while) for 6 days/weeks (Herald Sun version shown as example):
s-l500
s-l500-1

Reissue of the above from 2017:
s-l1600

Do you guys recall any of these releases, specifically the Collector’s album?

Yes i got the 6 dvd set with the paper and also the 2 disc release

1 Like

Something that always made me interested about Australian TV was how they relied a lot on imported programs in the 1990s (when they rated highest), and yet today there’s a lot of Australian content being pumped out in primetime, yet TV is declining.

I mean, back in the days Australian dramas like Blue Heelers used to have American programs (like Futurama and other stuff) leading into the program, and Simpsons used to be on at 7:30 on Ten (10) ahead of other Australian programs. Fast forward to today, if a network relies on overseas programs, then they would get sub-par ratings all day long.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why this comes as such as a surprise?

The more choices people had away from FTA, the more the audience was/is going to decline in favour of alternatives. Not to mention there was no other way to consume popular network first run TV shows from the US in the 90s apart from FTA (not even Pay TV touched first run programming until the early 2000s).

6 Likes

I was 13 in 2008 and I had cable internet at my place.

Really fast at 30Mbps, but there were a few times when I got belted for going over our 12 gigabyte limit (which I believe cost around $90 a month) and we ended up having a $300 bill due to usage charges.

Youtube had only just enabled high quality (that’s 360p) that year, I believe.

3 Likes