General TV History

Did you report your parents for abuse?

1 Like

I used to get a belting for leaving the lights or TV on when I left the room. I’d hate to think what they would’ve done if excess usage charges for phone and internet had been a thing back then.

1 Like

All of Them but Underbelly were Huge Flops for Nine In 2008, A Bit Worse In 2009 until their Welcome Home Campaign Launch.

1 Like

Yes So Have I. Not a bad watch as well

These kid today wouth not know how to use a commodore 64 with a modem connect to a BBS.

2 Likes

I was still on dial up until 2006! YouTube was impossible. I couldn’t get cable internet at my place. Only when I moved house I upgraded to ADSL.

2 Likes

That’s not as bad as our household; we had dial-up until as recently as 2010! :zipper_mouth_face: We only got rid of dial-up when we replaced our desktop PCs with laptops and set up a WiFi-network.

I got internet in 2005, and it was ADSL 512/128

1 Like

ATV10 Christmas and blooper tape, dated 1982 but also includes some “0’s The Go” idents from Channel 0 obviously from some time pre-1980.

YouTube: Mike Squier

3 Likes

Here’s a screen cap from said video.
“Summertime and the feeling is great!”

06%20am

1 Like

That Seven National News intro from Brisbane is almost iconic… and so characteristic of the feel of the 80s.

1 Like

I Hope Russell Coight is on there

1 Like

Now half price! :slight_smile:

I’d buy one but I don’t have a working VCR. I’m surprised they haven’t all been snapped up.

2 Likes

This is going to premiere in a week, it’s about Channel Ten’s glory days in the 2000s-2010s.

2 Likes

It’s always interesting to see how news promos make their way around the world:

(There’s another version of the ATV10 promo that’s even more similar to the other two, but I can no longer find it.)

2 Likes

I don’t know why I’m so disappointed to see such unoriginality and have childhood illusions shattered. I shouldn’t be surprised that even local news promos were recycled considering strangely familiar network branding and season launch promos kept popping up on Entertainment This Week on Ten in the mid 1980s.

Brisbane version from 1983

3 Likes

Before the advent of YouTube there were people who believed “Still The One” “Be There” and “Come On Along” amongst others were unique to Australian networks!

In fact when it came to branding and imaging there was very little Australian design on 80s commercial TV. To the point where one of 7’s Christmas IDs featured an animated Christmas present with a ribbon in the shape of the NBC peacock.

In the 70s things were a little better, I believe there was some Australian creative; “Get the channel 9 feeling” “Colour Machine” etc

3 Likes

I loved the 0 logo, memories of my childhood…

2 Likes

ATV0’s ‘Darling, I Like it’ Promo from 1977. Also used by TVQ0.
Uploader dontv3192.