General TV History

FLEMISHDOG: “Bloody rare TV here. Looking at old TV guide listings ABC seems to be the only thing listed for King Island specifically, did they get any other channels? Thanks so much for this very rare Tassie TV stuff.”
King%20Island
Can someone answer this question? The cue of this is the map, my friends.

ABC had ABKT11 on King Island though this was likely only a translator from ABNT3 Launceston which in turn was a relay from Hobart.

TNT9 (Southern Cross) had only a translator station on King Island.

TVT6 (WIN) from Hobart later established one post-aggregation in 1994.

Determined viewers there (if there were any) could probably have also had some luck picking up distant channels from Melbourne

2 Likes

I had a TAFE Teacher who said years ago that there was someone who used to have a backyard repeater service of TNT9 from Mt Barrow to King Island I believe or Smithton (I can’t remember which) who provided a relay of the service to those regions to improve signal but also to fix any banding issues etc… in Summer from Melbourne Channel Nine.
Allegedly, TNT9 knew about this but didn’t worry as it saved them money but once the ABA (or whoever they were back then) found out, then it was shutdown pretty quickly, much to the locals disappointment.

Not sure if it’s true or not, would be cool if it was.

1 Like

I remember in Gippsland most summers I use to see TNT9 and GTV9 coming in over the top of each other. We had a fairly strong signal from GTV9 during most the year so to see TNT9 during summer tropo overcome it in signal strength was quite impressive.

Speaking of tropo propagation in Gippsland. GLV8 moved to GLV37 in late 2000 to clear up channel 8 for GTV’s Melbourne digital TV transmission to start 1st Jan 2001. I believe BCV8 Bendigo also relocated frequency in late 2000, so for the brief period that channel 8 was freed up in Victoria I could receive SES8 from Mt Gambier during tropo in Gippsland too. Once GTV8 digital started it was all over though.

2 Likes

FrozenDoberman had a closedown of ABKT11, note at the weather segment that announcer said weather of King Island first, then Launcheston, then finally Hobart.
So that closedown was seen on ABKT11 only?

I think BCV8 stayed on the air until the analogue switchoff in May 2012. It did mean that GTV were running on reduced power for quite a while. Also BCV8 was on vertical polarisation as opposed to GTV8 being horizontal so interference would have been minimised to an extent. BCV did also establish a simulcast on Channel 38 as an alternative for those areas closer to Melbourne who would have normally watched Channel 8 but were unable anymore because of the digital hash interference.

1 Like

It was actually 2011 when analogue TV was switched off across Regional Victoria.

Rather coincidentally, this happened on the same week that ABC News Breakfast moved from ABC2 to ABC1, and therefore, all children’s programs were shifted to ABC2 (branded as ABC 4 Kids, later ABC Kids).

We use to get 0 Brisbane here in Hamilton sometimes in summer amazing how far those signals can bounce in the right conditions.

2 Likes

It would have been the same closedown seen on ABT, ABNT and ABKT.

King Island is only tiny with a small, isolated population, it would not have had its own TV presentation.

4 Likes

A closedown from ABNT from 1984 had the weather segment said the weather for the North TAS first, then finally Hobart…
Is that a coincidence?

It’s not unusual to start with minor areas before moving on to the city in weather presentations

Here’s a news bulletin from 1984, this one from HSV7 in Melbourne. The forecast was given for country areas and interstate before going on to Melbourne.

YouTube: steve rutherford

And for anyone interested, there’s a roll call of the regional stations showing the bulletin at the end.

And how cute, it’s a Sunday night so there’s the weather for Monday, a couple of words about Tuesday. And that’s it. None of this 7 or 8 day forecast, or even 4 days! (Channel 10 was doing 4-day forecasts well before this time)

And I do love. “that’s all from me. Bye for now. Bye Bye Mal” “Bye Bye Rosemarie”
Stop saying bye bye!! :weary:

3 Likes

Same in Queensland where weather reports on ABC and commercial TV nearly always start with the Cairns and the Far North and finish with Brisbane.

3 Likes

What the … ? Seven News melbourne on SA-based stations? (SES8, sorry for cursing, through I know that station could seen in West VIC, but it’s unbelieveable that it retransmitted HSV7 news.)

You can see something like that from … (years) to … (years)

1 Like

Yes it was, my apologies. Got confused with the NSW and Vic switchoff.

Isn’t Mount Gambier closer to Melbourne than Adelaide?

I know more people in the area were interested in the VFL (at the time) than the SAFL

The reason for the different transmission times for ABQ2 Brisbane and Queensland regionals was that ABQ2 was showing a selection of SBS programs after close down at that time. IIRC this was ahead of public meetings to discuss the expansion of the SBS television service thus allowing members of the public to see what SBS programming was about.

This was broadcast at the time.

2 Likes

Does anyone know on Youtube if they have the full news broadcast of Mal Waldren last broadcast on HSV 7,

Reminds me of the time I met someone from Mount Gambier when I was in the USA.

Me: Whereabouts in Australia are you from?
Him: Victoria
Me: Ah okay? Whereabouts in Victoria?
Him: Mount Gambier.
Me: But that’s in South Australia!
Him: Well, it’s near Victoria.

4 Likes

I don’t mean the different broadcast times, my friends.