General TV History

In 1991, according to Department of Transport and Communications “Radio and Television Broadcasting Stations”, King Island had ABKT11 (2kW), TNT8 (2kW) and TNT59 (1kW). All broadcasting from Gentle Annie Hill, with the footnote that they were broadcasting via a microwave link from the Smithton translator.

Unclear why they had dual signals for TNT? Maybe Channel 8 was being prone to interference from the mainland?

After aggregation, TVT’s local translator on King Island was VHF Channel 6 (not UHF for some reason)

From what I can gather, SBS and TDT did not commence on the island until the late 2000s?

Now King Island has 2 transmitter sites, “King Island” (Gentle Annie) and “Currie”. Both now providing all 5 networks and on UHF channels.

3 Likes

Or its own independent station. Geez…can you imagine that? King Island Television…TV on a really really really small budget. :rofl:

1 Like

They’ve got two runways at their Airport, that’s the sign of a bustling metropolis!

1 Like

I thought those would’ve gone at the start as a gentle wakeup for those taking the bulletin on relay to connect the wires or something like that.

it did used to be at the start of the bulletin a few years earlier as I think regional stations did need to be “called in” but I guess by 1984 communications to the regionals were a bit more sophisticated

YouTube: FlemishDog

1 Like

I don’t mean the different broadcast times, my friends.PNG

Troppo Story from the 80’s NEN-9 From Mt Dowe was re-broadcast on channel 0 in Tamworth & most warm summer nights when NEN-9 would shut for the night the Channel 0 repeater would re-broadcast QTQ-9 from Brisbane. It was snowy but watchable

5 Likes

It’s a little surprising they didn’t have a direct link from their South Tamworth studios to to the NEN 0 site at Bald Hill in East Tamworth. It would have been line of sight. Particularly when there is obviously a link to the main NEN9 site at Mt Dowe over 100 km away.

That roll call is a bit strange. GMV 8 and GMV 10. But no GMV 6 which was the main transmitter!

1 Like

It is there at the top of the screen

Ah, sorry. Just looked at the still image which cropped the top off.

1 Like

A relay list from BTQ plus a promo for the ill-fated local SEVEN P.M.

1. ABC Regional News was broadcast from … (year) to … (year)
  2. Anyone can tell about the ABC Regional News “site map”?

From 1962 (Canberra) to 1985

1 Like

I noticed that the TVT and TNT stations were included in that roll call. I was born in the early ‘90s, so I’m only going on the resources I’ve got, but I don’t really understand why Seven National News included those stations considering, as far as I know, those stations never relayed Seven’s Melbourne bulletins.

TVT-6 and TNT-9 always had their own composite bulletins each night which would have sourced their national and international reports from Seven, which I could understand, and I think once in a blue moon, Seven would air a report from TVT-6 or TNT-9 if a story from Tasmania was important enough to broadcast on the Melbourne bulletin at least.

That’s my recollection too. I suspect those stations were listed as they would use Seven news stories from the mainland etc.

Were TVT, TNT and NBN the only regional commercial stations to air their own full length news bulletins seven days a week?

Capital 7 in Canberra did it for a time as well and continued to do so after aggregation. And NTD8 Darwin from the early 80s though I’m not sure NTD did seven nights a week.

GWN in WA also used to do a composite local/national news bulletin before the arrival of WIN, at which point Golden West News reverted to a regional news bulletin followed by Seven News on relay.

My understanding is that NTD8 took a direct relay of BTQ7 news however, was News at 7 launched in 1982 a composite bulletin?

News At 7 was a composite bulletin AFAIK. It used Nine Network as a source initially but it appears that when all the Qld regionals switched their relay to Seven News that NTD followed suit to source stories

1 Like