General TV History

When color arrived in 1975, did BTQ7 continue with the Circle 7 logo before adopting the Rainbow 7 logo?

Looking at the TV Times from that week. GTV9’s first all-night schedule was Friday night, 16 July, with movies The Triple Cross, The FBI Story, Conquest Of Space and Those Fantastic Flying Fools. The movie marathon started at 11.00pm and continued through to Hey Hey It’s Saturday starting at 7am.

Saturday night featured a Sporting Marathon from 9.30pm, including a panel discussion of past Australian Olympians on the prospects of the 1976 Olympic Games. Then overnight movies Geordie and Number One and US series World Of Sport and cartoons before the opening ceremony started at 5.00am.

From Sunday night, GTV9’s nightly Olympics coverage started at 11pm going through to the next morning, featuring events and results as they came in off the satellite. They were a bit cheeky as even though they had pooled resources with Seven and ABC for Olympics coverage, they still went ahead and mounted their own extra coverage, enabling them to stay on air all night with exclusive coverage in addition to the few hours of daily highlights that they were sharing with Seven and ABC. (0/10 opted to stay out of the Olympics pooling arrangement, so only ran with Olympics stories in the evening news)

1 Like

Found this on YouTube the other day. Does anyone recognise the song? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Was it used by one of the commercial networks?

I feel like this was used for an ABC TV campaign - mid-2000s?

Edit: this is what I’m thinking of; it’s similar, but not as identical to the song as I thought

I think Seven used that song for their signposts/lineups in around 2003.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s the one!

2 Likes

Here’s the Canberra Times article about Capital’s axing of the Illawarra local news window:
Eight Capital Television employees retrenched (Canberra Times, Dec 5 1989)

There’s also a 4 minute ‘Radio Edit’ version on Spotify.

Nice piece of music :grinning:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3FXOMGaPyw Does The GTS-BKN Logo remind me of the Video Ezy logo

1 Like

It does for me. I like the jingle “Hey, Look at us Now!”

With thanks to @Zampakid for providing the footage, Royal Easter Show Opening Day coverage (Report & Partial Weather Preview) from Ten News Sydney - 22/3/2002:

Ten actually presented bulletins from a temporary studio at the Showgrounds back then, so a few glimpses of that set-up can be seen in the clip. Of course others probably remember more about these broadcasts than I do, so any additional information would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This ident looks awesome in 50fps!

1 Like

I liked the glass version of the X logo that ran for a comparatively short time in 1989 (before being replaced by the precursor of the current logo).

Example at the start of this video was one of the last broadcast.

3 Likes

Here’s another copy.

I really like this ident. Very ahead of its time for 89.

2 Likes

Re, the “X TEN” Idents: I personally prefer the majestic-sounding music of 1988 but the cutting edge-looking CGI of 1989! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone have the original SES8 “Clock” logo, my friends?

1 Like

Thanks.
Those clocks are a bit hard to read.
It took me a few moments to work out which was SA and which was VIC.

Speaking of clocks, I’d love to see the digital clock ATN-7 used in its “Seven National News” openers in the early 1980s. Not that it was anything spectacular.

I mean the 1966 SES8 logo, which TelevisionAU said that it was the 2 time zones clock that formed the number 8, my friends.

I’ve never seen the actual logo I only know what was written up in TV Times at the time of the station’s launch

This is my favourite TV clock / countdown though:

YouTube: Australian TV Fan

Though for sentimental reasons because I saw it a lot as a child, this one gets a special mention

YouTube: Regional TV Australia (who has re-created the clock very well!)

4 Likes