General TV History

Good find! That’s the one I remember

Well, this is the broadcast time for TV channels in my country (I talk about that since I’m Vietnamese):
When TV commenced in my country in 1970, transmissions didn’t commenced until 7PM. The transmissions started with the program lineup of that day, and then the children’s program (known until 1995 as Tiny Flowers). News broadcast at the very odd time: 7:17 PM. Programming ended at 10 or 11PM.
In 1976, the channel began broadcast 7 nights a week (from commencement of TV until that point, it was broadcast for only 5 nights a week)

1 Like

Actually, CJON TV in St. John’s, Newfoundland went 24/7 in 1972 - and may have been the first station to go 24/7.

Bring back the closedown! :rofl:

1 Like

I think in the case of Nine (and I’d have to check the guides) but I think the all-night movies started just prior to the 1976 Olympics, perhaps a few days earlier as a ‘trial run’ or something. Not sure. I’d have to double check.

In Melbourne, HSV7 started broadcasting 24/5 from March 1985 when they started taking News Overnight including Today from NBC. It is unclear why HSV waited a couple of months after Sydney. HSV continued to close down on both Saturday and Sunday nights for still a couple of years.

ATV10 also carried Music Video on Friday and Saturday nights, though probably not as far back as Sydney had been. ATV10 also went 24/7 from 1987 with Night Shift going from 1am to 5am.

In Brisbane, QTQ9 started 24/7 from New Year’s Day 1980, signing on at 8.00am on New Year’s Eve and staying on. TVQ10 started 24/7 a couple of days after it had changed from TV0 in 1988.

In Adelaide NWS9 started 24/7 in mid-1984 but had been doing all-night movies on Friday nights for some years already.

1 Like

Can’t believe that “ABC Local” still exist 1976…

1 Like

Not sure that I understand what you mean by ABC Local? But each state programmed their ABC separately, possibly up until the mid 80s when the Aussat satellite launched.

I mean the logo. Look at the parenthesed area, my friends.

I see :sunglasses:

ABC did sometimes have a “2” next to the logo from time to time in some print usage such as TV listings and newspaper ads but I’m not sure it was done that much on screen. (It is also possible the magazine just put the “2” there as a tip for viewers :slightly_smiling_face:)

In the 80s when they had money to spend on radio advertising, the ads used to say “on ABC, Channel 2”

The ABN, ABV, ABQ, ABS, ABW, ABT (No ABD here) had the seperate local logo when ABC-TV commenced. When those stations use the same logo?

They each had variations on logos up until the mid 1960s (the ABC logo was designed 1965)

1 Like

Tôi dã cạn lời khi nhìn vào thứ này…
HOW THE HELL THAT ABC REGIONAL HAD THE SEPERATE IDENTITY IF THEY WERE JUST THE RELAY OF ABC METRO?

1 Like

Was probably just for the magazine ad. Possibly not used on screen

2 Likes

So how many hours on ABC was national programming before mid 80s, my friends?

On that day, The launch of the ribbons on air package ensured Channel 9 with a win during prime time thanks to Not just the voice, but the 54th TV Week Logies

1 Like

Someone know what did Eight National News look like in 2000-2003?

2 Likes

This is from 1998, part of a Eight National News bulletin

Here is a intro for Eight National news

Neither are within the date range you asked for but I assume they would have adopted Nine style presentation until it became Channel 9

2 Likes

SCN and VIC TV still closed down overnight as of 1991, my friends.

Well before aggregation of Victoria on 1/1/1992.

Most programs were national but each state had their own schedules. Possibly dictated by having to circulate tapes around the country as communications infrastructure was not keeping up with demands and was expensive to access.

Each state traditionally had local news (same as now), current affairs and sports coverage. These days there isn’t really much or any of the latter two

2 Likes

You mean the time of commencement of 24/7 broadcasting in regional Vic?