TV History - Questions

Seven repeated it through the 00’s, though never in a consistent time slot.

4 Likes

Becasue they’re re-using the scripts in Last Man Standing?

1 Like

Just wondering, how has the ABC historically handled imported content which has been produced with ad breaks in mind?

The thing I’m wondering is - how did they manage to take care of the ad breaks? E.g. do they just remove the ads or do they try and make everything seem seamless (i.e. removal of the throw to commercial/welcome back bit…)?

The one I’m curious about in particular is when they aired The Tonight Show on ABC2 for a while.

If the episodes of The Office on ABC Comedy are anything to go by, they include the throws to break with a second-long pause and then resume the episode. It looks a little unusual, considering the first couple of lines of the next act of a show are usually a recap of what happened before the break, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

On The Bill, you often heard the end of the “break sting” (played at both sides of the break on ITV) at the start of the post-break scenes.

Apart from the ones already mentioned above…

Channel 0

ABC Goulburn
ABCN Kandos
ABCN Portland/Wallerawang
ABMN SW Slopes/E Riverina
ABSN Cooma
ABUN Glen Innes
ABWN Narooma
NEN Tamworth
ABMQ Nebo
ABNQ Gordonvale
ABNT St Helens

Channel 5A

ABHN Newcastle
ABWN Illawarra
ABN Quirindi
ABN Armidale
ABUN Ashford
MTN Hay
ABGV Alexandra
ABRV Colac
ABWV Western Victoria
ABMQ Moranbah
ABQ Capella
ABQ Wandoan
ABTQ Bowen
ABWQ Nambour
FNQ Herberton
FNQ Mission Beach
FNQ Cairns North
TNQ Townsville North
ABCW Central Agricultural
ABW Leeman
TNT Wynyard

3 Likes

Mate you are a bloody legend!!! :+1:
Edit: Oops, I missed this thread!

Sorry to bother you but can I ask where you got your sources from (not that I think you’re lying, I just wanna know).

I got it from the Radio and Television Broadcasting Stations 1988 document that was published by the Department of Transport & Communications.

That’s okay, thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was it MTN or CBN/CWN who had a relay station at VHF-11 Bathurst?

CBN.

1 Like

Out of all the main ABC stations, ABQ i believe had the most translator stations.

Does anyone know when abouts this microphone style and jacket logo (hard to see) was ued?
(Taken at Peter Janson’s place in Melbourne)

Probably mid to late 1970’s would be my guess.

3 Likes

Yep, 1979. Here’s another pic from that moment

1 Like

Does anyone have vision of old 5A channels in Australia?

A 1999 RTS-5A news opener, courtesy of Dan Martin.

1 Like

no video, but a program guide from TV-Radio Extra in 1986,

4 Likes

Speaking of foreign news programming on SBS. Do they still put that disclaimer at the start saying that it “Does not endorse the content”

There’s also a possibility that they might’ve run into the odd lawsuit