Triple M Network

I can confirm it’s on in Melbourne too. Sounds like it’s national as Ugly Phil seems to host it from Sydney when ever they have a contestant guessing.

1 Like

I just looked at the terms and conditions, which state it is on in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. There is only one first prize of $20,000. Seems similar to Smooth Stars where the same competition is on the Sydney and Melbourne stations.

3 Likes

Today I heard Becko on air,isn’t he the morning announcer on Triple M Sydney? He was filling in for Ugly Phil this arvo.I remember him being on air on B105 in the late 90s .

1 Like

Which is why Fitzy & Wippa, Kyle & Jackie O and Em, Ed & Grant are all on similar money, given they’re flagship shows for their respective networks and a main driver of revenue… and also why Nova, ARN and SCA’s overall revenue is almost identical…

Wait…

I’m not saying that a station can’t be profitable when they’re not #1 - of course they can, as evidenced by Nova. But plenty certainly still care about it - including advertisers. Yes, direct target demographics matter, but they certainly matter a lot more to those who aren’t number 1…

4 Likes

You can shot me down if you would like.

We have been streaming Triple M Brisbane over the past week and musically I wish some of the regional Triple M stations with 3 or more commercial stations in their area would adopt their format. I think it would work well in Cairns, Mackay and Rockhampton. They play a great mix of new and old rock music and even chucked in some awesome borderline pop/rock 80’s songs like Blue Monday - New Order, You Belong To The City - Glenn Frey and Don’t Believe Anymore - Icehouse which mixed in well with their rockier songs. The down side is a lot of talk and adds, but I guess most of the metro radio stations are like that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Between 12 & 3pm AEST, Triple M Brisbane carries the same programming/music log as its Sydney & Melbourne station. Obviously, I’m not including networked talk-based programming such as Kennedy Molloy & Luke Bona.

As for you wishing for some regional Triple M stations to adopt the music format of its Brisbane station, I agree with you. I wouldn’t mind 2GO adopting that format, as it would provide a musical point-of-difference from Star 104.5, as well as from WS & Smooth, which are both female-skewing adult music stations.

Here’s the 9am-12pm log of Triple M Brisbane from today, thanks to Online Radio Box:

The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Live - All Over You
Cat Stevens - Wild World
INXS - Devil Inside
The John Butler Trio - Home
Black Crowes - Hard To Handle
John Mellencamp - Authority Song
Eddie Vedder - You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away
Green Day - Longview
Skyhooks - Horror Movie
Billy Idol - Hot In The City (New York Single Mix)
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
Lloyd Cole And The Commotions - Lost Weekend
Blur - Song 2
Midnight Oil - Short Memory
Vance Joy - We’re Going Home
Bon Jovi - Something For The Pain (Edit)
Choirboys - Boys Will Be Boys
The Boomtown Rats - I Don’t Like Mondays
Hunters & Collectors - Turn A Blind Eye
The Cure - Love Cats
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can’t Stop
The Church - Almost With You
Divinyls - I Touch Myself
Queen - Somebody To Love
Crowded House - Now We’re Getting Somewhere
The Living End - Don’t Lose It
Big Audio Dynamite II - The Globe (Album Version)
Bruce Springsteen - Cover Me
Chris Cornell - Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart
Filter - Take A Picture
Australian Crawl - Louie Louie (Live)

And the Sydney/Melbourne log during the same period for comparison:

Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
Chris Isaak - Baby Did A Bad Bad Thing
Stevie Wright - Evie (Parts 1, 2 And 3)
The Living End - Don’t Lose It
Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Europe - The Final Countdown
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
Dragon - April Sun In Cuba
Foo Fighters - My Hero
Australian Crawl - Reckless (Don’t Be So)
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
Faith No More - Ashes To Ashes
Bon Jovi - Lay Your Hands On Me
Dean Lewis - Be Alright
Blur - Song 2
Billy Idol - Hot In The City
Eddie Vedder - You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away
INXS - Listen Like Thieves
Marcy Playground - Sex And Candy
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Tom Petty - Free Fallin
The Cranberries - Zombie
Icehouse - Great Southern Land
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Vance Joy - We’re Going Home
Jimmy Barnes - I’d Die To Be With You Tonight
Radiohead - Creep
Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
Powderfinger - These Days
Gary Numan - Cars
Green Day - Longview
Guns N’ Roses - Sweet Child O’ Mine

7 Likes

I agree with you about the Triple M Brisbane playlist. It’s much improved. The problem is the amount of talk, sport and ads.

5 Likes

I’m not gonna lie, I’m not really liking Triple M Melbourne’s new wider mix of rock… I preferred it when they played Everlong- Foo Fighters five times a day, the Hoodoo Gurus- What’s My Scene, Revolution Radio- Green Day or any good Green Day song and Power and the Passion- Midnight Oil, what happened to Triple M playing good Classic Rock, not these songs that would most likely be also playing on Gold/WS

Don’t worry, it’s Triple M, they’ll change their music format again in a few months.

3 Likes

True, I mean You’ll Never Know What They’ll Play Next

1 Like

Khe Sanh, probably.

3 Likes

If that was the case, they’d play stuff like:

Macarena
The Ketchup Song
Nursery rhymes
Random podcasts
Test tones
People farting
The sound of couples going at it

2 Likes

Baby Shark (do do do do do do)

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to 2MMM more over the past few weeks because of the wider, more “gold” rock hits.

Dean Lewis can @#$%$#@%@#$ get to hell though , it’s bad enough hearing him on the regional feed 10x a day let alone on the Ms

1 Like

I actually prefer listening to the regional Triple Ms when I can get them. A much wider variety , maybe because the add a few top 40 hits in the mix it doesn’t sound all the same.

2 Likes

Currently playing Morgan Evan’s new song “Day Drunk”. More a country pop song than a part of the “wide rock mix” I would have thought.

TELLING LIES (DO DO DO DO DO)

1 Like

On 3MMM I’ve noticed that during Kennedy Molloy and also during promos they are using the tagline “Made in Melbourne”.

Have ratings in the home city been that underwhelming that they have to remind listeners that although it’s a national show it’s still made locally? TV networks do similar though, GTV9 have always put “Made in Melbourne” stamps on all their local productions.

5 Likes

I heard that one today

So do Fox FM, with Fifi Fev and Byron… Mel-BORN and BRED