Triple M Network

The stations necessarily cater to different demos. The audience is smaller and the market narrower. That’s not to say that a Hot Tomato, for example, wouldn’t work as a Brisbane metro, but that assuming it would because of its success in a much smaller, quite different market, is naive.

The demographics are different. At a basic level they may be similar, but dig a bit deeper and you’ll find they’re different - whether it’s more tourists or more people who like to surf or whatever. All those things make a difference when programming a radio station.

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhh the 80s - when the only time the hosts of breakfast radio would laugh hysterically was when something funny happened.

When music radio would play a load of upcoming Australian singers and groups.

When music DJs sounded like they were older than 12 or 13.

But most of all I miss uncluttered breakfast radio. When one host was better than four or five.

8 Likes

Sounds terrible.

4 Likes

Playing new music is terrible? You prefer to hear top 40 tracks repeated every two hours?

3 Likes

Well you may not be able to get a 30% share any more (and by the way I never said that you could).

But maybe a world where 4MMM can beat an AM music station like 4KQ is still possible… Keep the dream alive!

We still haven’t established if you were around in the 80s?

2 Likes

Sounds terrible? C’mon, in the 80s if it was not for 2SM, Triple M and Countdown combined there would never have been:

• Pseudo Echo
  • Hunters and Collectors
  • Madison Avenue
  • Ratcat
  • Yothu Yindi
  • Kids in the Kitchen
  • Uncanny X Men

The list goes on…

Today’s FM stations - including Triple M - will play new music from the United States but tight playlists have really killed off the Australian music scene.

Want to get commercial airplay now? Forget good music - this is how you succeed:
Step 1: Win The Voice
Step 2: Have one hit single
Step 3: Host 2DayFM breakfast show
Step 4: Go on I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here
Step 5: Sink into obscurity

7 Likes

Bring back the 80s😕when I was young ,(in my 20s)and radio was worth listening to

4 Likes

Now that Triple M have launched MMM Country on digital radio, I wonder if they are using this as a sounding board to determine whether to add some country music to their FM playlist?

I’m not sure how artists like Florida Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Eric Church and Blake Shelton would sound amongst the active rock format.

1 Like

It’d probably sound ok amongst all the talk and sport though.

Doubt it. It would be the first time that DAB+ was used as a ‘sounding board’ for anything. Given that Coles Radio is the ‘#1’ DAB+ station (and I use the #1 label lightly) it’s hardly a good way to judge anything

1 Like

Well they did pull Classic Rock digital off air a couple of years ago because it was apparently too popular and added some of those songs to FM instead.

2 Likes

Herald Sun reports Lehmo, who hosted breakfast on Gold with Jo Stanley until they were sacked late last year, will have a regular spot on Triple M, on both Hot Breakfast in Melbourne and drive with Mick Molloy and Jane Kennedy. Lehmo’s first spot will be on 7.30am AEDT tomorrow (Thursday).

1 Like

Was announced this morning live on Hot Breakfast too. Herald Sun just repeating what regular listeners already know.

I wonder whether they are looking at Lehmo to play a role like Lawrence Mooney and potentially host during non-ratings

4 Likes

Good point. Although Lawrence is still with the network. He’s probably even Brisbane breakfast from the Melbourne studios like Ed Kavalee was.

Doing the same for Roo & Dits in Adelaide too, announced the other week.

Breakfast

2 Likes

Triple M will be launching in Bundeberg with the rebranding of Sea FM on 93.1 to Triple M. Looks like it’s going to be the 70’s to now format.

3 Likes

Bundaberg

1 Like