Triple M Network

Yes, otherwise Triple J would have had to play Taylor Swift a few years ago, as I don’t know how you tell genuine votes from non genuine, unless you can implement something like only one vote per IP address or something like that (but then that could be shared within a large household too).

2 Likes

I’ve argued this point with some of my more “hipster”/“alternative” colleagues - they think that the Hottest 100 is 100% democratic. If I mention Tay Tay (remember: Tay Tay and Ray Ray is NOT TRIPLE M. Get rid of it outside cap cities) and how close she was to getting into “their” countdown, they’d go into denial.

All this adds to my argument that Australian media just needs to be blown up and started again. Triple J should’ve told the hipsters to fuck off and not change the date (and expand the FM network - online streaming is not the answer to everything). Triple M should’ve been told to shove Ozzfest up their arse.

The criticism of Australian Top 100 countdowns on Australia Day is so overblown it’s not funny, it’s not even a storm in a teacup, it’s a storm in a teaspoon.

The real issue goes back to Australia Day being on Jan 26, but that’s for another topic.

5 Likes

Pissing off their listeners… I don’t think that’s a smart strategy.

1 Like

Not in my circles it’s not…if I didn’t have to put up with it, I would have told them to fuck off, and worry about something else.

Believe me, there are people to whom Triple J’s countdown, or indeed anything Triple J (or Triple M) do is not to be criticized and if you do, you shall be struck down by thunder and lighting. I was like that with other things when I was younger, but as I’ve gotten older and crankier, I’ve been able to pick holes at most things, and eventually, bag the living shit out of it. It’s fun in some instances.

I’d do it for the shits and giggles. Bloody snowflakes. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

If you need to get a rise out of people to entertain yourself then sure, have fun with that.

1 Like

I’m ambivalent on most of your points, but seems a bit rich to call Triple J listeners snowflakes.

1 Like

Who said you “have to put up” with the countdowns?

Just listen to something else.

1 Like

Be interesting to see the reception for JJJ when the 4th Saturday of January will be the 26th next year.

2 Likes

They will just say it’s a coincidence :roll_eyes: and that the next time there’s a Sat 26th Jan is not until 2030.

This is probably straying into triple j thread territory, but:

I bet they won’t run it on the Saturday. Hottest 100 on the Sunday, Hottest 100 on the Monday which is the public holiday in lieu of the 26th.

It wasn’t disqualified on those grounds, it was with the justification (whether rightly or otherwise) of KFC building a commercial campaign around its inclusion.

1 Like

This is how the Ozzest 100 ended up yesterday.
No great surprises overall, but I didn’t expect to see song numbers #14 and #6 in the list.
Certainly not ones Triple M would play very often, if at all.

3 Likes

Even John Williamson’s True Blue (#27), Savage Garden’s I Want You (#87) and Slim Dusty (#45). There was a number of songs that are not on the standard Triple M playlist.

Many people were critical when the countdown was announced that it would be all bogan rock or that Triple M would struggle to find more than 100 songs since their playlist is thought to be very repetitive. I guess these inclusions were to counteract those arguments.

6 Likes

why the metro stations shit on the regionals atleast the metros pick a format of music and play it regional play list is all over the place

2 Likes

Regional listeners have fewer radio choices so their stations tend to be “more things to more people”.

Hence why they take Ray Hadley.

2 Likes

I’m from Melbourne mate and prefer the regionals triple m’s and day. I’m 46 and want a station that plays real music variety. I love new music thru to 70’s. Kiss, nova, fox all play the same on high rotation. Smooth not bad but a bit sleepy, Gold everything but new music, Triple M Rock only, no pop. You go up the highway and get Triple M greatest hits and they play everything, wish Melbourne would adopt that format

3 Likes

strong textCLASSIC ROCK RADIO 1377AM ADRIAN TUNE IN TODAY GET TE CLASSIC RADIO APP WHEN YIU AE NIT IN MELBOURNE ALSO.

Pardon me?

5 Likes

Do they play new music? No different to Gold really

Yeah I tend to agree. But you can get MMM Greatest Hits on DAB in the city. The only MMM stations I listen to are Greatest Hits and Classic Rock. Wouldn’t go near the FM stations.

2 Likes