Triple M Network

Can anyone please clarify what the “Triple M Rankers” are? (I do like the name… cheeky!)

Are they simply what they call Triple M Club members these days? What is the difference?

2 Likes

Last week it was on DAB - Tonights Swans game is on FM

3 Likes

No ‘Nights With Dave Gleeson’ this week due to the Easter break.

Metros and regionals running the same DJ free automated playlist instead.

2 Likes

Which would be a great permanent move IMO.

3 Likes

I quite like the show actually - Gleeson has some great stories and I like the ‘Classic 9 at 9’ … the main downside is that Thommo (as Gleeson’s offsider and co-host) laughs too much at things that are only mildly amusing at best - reminds of those awful breakfast shows… The music can be a bit predictable at times too.

7 Likes

With the show being done from Adelaide, they would be better off with someone older like Sean Craig Murphy anchoring it instead of Thomo.

7 Likes

And by someone who can be bothered to look up who the rugby league premiers were for when the ‘Classic 9 at 9’ focuses on a year… as Thommo only ever mentions the VFL/AFL premiers for that year. I find that a bit annoying.

6 Likes
3 Likes

I had a look at Triple M & what they’ve played over the last hour as a sample:

Goanna
Mental As Anything
Dragon
Screaming Jets
INXS

Seriously, they must have an ex-triple m employee handing out “everyone wins a prize”

An award for supporting Australian music, the same songs they’ve been playing thousands of times for the last 40 years - what a joke

11 Likes

Agree. What a joke. The number one problem with mainstream stations in Australia, and in particular Triple M, is the MUSIC. The playlist is lame, safe and repetitive.

7 Likes

Well, they should be commended for at least doing that. The flipside is Nova and 2Day who are afraid to play any Australian music from any era. Now that’s a disgrace. They only play it after 10pm to make up the Aussie content numbers and keep their licence.

10 Likes

Who are they targeting? Playing 40 old predictable music. Yes the station is time warped, lame cringe worthy and enough to make your skin crawl. Don’t get me started on parrots that call it the m’s. Might be fitting if they drop the L out of their name.

4 Likes

Triple M does this too, with its “Aussie” show.

5 Likes

2Day and KIIS do it too. It’s such a cop out. They do nothing to promote Aussie music and then fawn all over Aussie artists when they manage to breakout and find success overseas.

Triple M were notoriously just as bad back in their heyday. Those Aussie artists you hear now on Triple M and 2WS didn’t get anywhere near this sort of exposure on any radio station back in the day, even when they actually had chart success.

8 Likes

Maybe not on Triple M or 2WS, but stations like FM104, 96FM, Radio 10 and 2SM pushed a lot of unknown Australian music back in the day. And before that so did a lot of AM stations in the 60s and 70s.

9 Likes

And Nova96.9 following its launch spearheaded promoting Aussie music for a commercial station of the 00’s.

They were making 2DayFM sound completely foreign at the time.

5 Likes

If Triple M was serious about supporting Australian rock music, they should be playing NEW Australian music across its playlists around the country. Why aren’t Triple M playing Amyl and the Sniffers, You Am I/Tim Rogers (they don’t even play 90s YAI let alone their current stuff), King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, The Murlocs, The Vandas, Electric Mary, Dallas Crane, Airbourne, the Smith Street Band, DZ Deathrays, Shotgun Mistress? Rebel FM plays all these folks. These bands are the future of Australian rock and roll, they all have strong followings and deserve mainstream success. But no Triple M elected not to, opting instead to play the same 70 songs and 30 artists over and over again. Mainstream rock radio in the US play Amyl and the Sniffers, why not Triple M?

8 Likes

if the new rock was decent im sure they would

4 Likes

Hobart breakfast radio royalty Dave Noonan was back on Triple M this morning as part of an activation, being interviewed by current brekky host Tubes. Made reference during the interview about his time at the station. The 60 second spot ended up being nearly four minutes long.

5 Likes

I totally support what you are saying about new music but reality is most people will turn it off. Let’s see how Perth plays out over the next 12 months

1 Like