Triple M Network

To me, there are signs of that happening, and I think that’s a good thing.

3 Likes

Yeah sorry that Panic at the disco song stands out for a regular listener to MMM Sydney.

With todays playlist being all 80’s(Shadows of the Night:Pat Benatar is todays standout) songs like High Hopes is definately leaning more to POP.

Im likely to start hearing PINK in the playlist shortly…

5 Likes

That’s my favourite Pat Benatar song, but I like a lot of others too.

Speaking of Pink, BBC Radio 2 played her brand new single on their midnight show - first station in the world to play it apparently, and it actually wasn’t too bad. And I don’t usually like her stuff.

4 Likes

The MMM regionals play Pink. Heard ‘Don’t Let Me Get Me’ and ‘So What’ in recent weeks.

4 Likes

Just another case of all the stations merging together into sounding same same same.

You once only heard Pink on Nova, 2Day and KIIS. Then 2WS added her to the playlist and this year Cada did too. Now she’s even on Triple M. This is the worst!

9 Likes

Am I the only one who doesn’t really enjoy P!NK’s music?

I understand she is brilliant and successful, but why does every radio station think she is their core artist?

7 Likes

She’s not a core artist of any network anymore. Maybe 10-12 years ago she would have been considered a core artist of Hit. They even ran a Pink DAB+ station during her extended Australian residency.

She has an edgy rock sound that I think gives her credentials for MMM play. That said, I don’t think she’s cracked the metros yet - just the regional Ms.

3 Likes

The metro Ms tried playing Pink when she was still relatively new (early 00s), i recall “Dont Let Me Get Me” being played at night asking for listener feedback on the song and they put a Melbourne lady on air who said she thought it “should be left on TTFM”.

5 Likes

jack off all format do they even work doesnt work for new fm newcastle hot tomato on the gold coast

1 Like

it gets played heaps its not new

1 Like

Following today’s shocker for 2MMM, who else is hoping for a relaunch as “Sydney’s Real Alternative” in 2023?

Unlikely, but it would be nice to have another choice in Sydney.

6 Likes

It’s now clear 2MMM’s decline is terminal, sad for what was once a goliath of a radio station.

Interestingly 5MMM won the FM ratings in Adelaide today. Granted the M’s here don’t have a WSFM / Gold to compete with (it’s not even really a fair fight when they’re up against Mix, which truly is an awful radio station), but shows broadening the playlist and being slightly experimental can bring in new listeners. They recently did a 500 greatest Aussie songs and played some tunes that hadn’t been on the radio in decades.

On a side note, its good to see 3MMM holding ground, especially Marty’s show. We get the highlights here and its really growing on me.

4 Likes

What different songs do 5MMM play that 2MMM doesn’t? (Same with 4MMM?)

2 Likes

Earlier today they played two by Johnny Farnham, Duran Duran and Fine Young Cannibals

3 Likes

2MMM’s problems start at Breakfast. The host is missing in action an the two presenters are literally phoning it in. It’s a tough listen and it drags the entire station down
Time for a think about quality FM presenters for 2MMM breakfast.

4 Likes

What has happened? Aren’t they altogether?

IMO 2MMM Breakfast turned south once Moonman left. That would’ve been the best time to blow it all up & start again.

1 Like

Turned south when Moonman joined.
Best one was the Grill Team but that was seen as too blokey.
I just see it as Rock isn’t cool anymore so it’s going to be hard to pull 2MMM out of where they are. It musnt work for Sydney in 2022.

3 Likes

Rock still can be cool if they play some rock variety and stop flogging the same repetitive crap to death.

5 Likes

I listen to the podcast, it’s been really clear over the last 10 days or so with Pagey’s absence that he’s doing the heavy lifting for the show.

MG does a lot of the shows from home/his gym(?) - you can see it in their socials videos

2 Likes

It’s exactly the same in Brisbane. 4MMM does a lot better than it should because it doesn’t have a Gold/WS to compete with, and 97.3 is truly awful as well. I don’t think SCA can take any credit for the comparatively better results of 4MMM and 5MMM

7 Likes