Triple M Network

I just wish they’d try something with a music focus, be it Radio X or classic rock or a Rebel-clone. Even what Virgin UK are doing, a kind of rock-skewed hot ac. Anything, rather than the awful mish-mash of talk and sport, with the music seeming to be an afterthought.

5 Likes

Just listen to B-Rock or Rebel for better rock variety that the M’s should be playing.

6 Likes

These days Triple M’s main listening audience would be male,aged between 35 to late 50s ,works as a tradie/labourer and drives a dual cab Ute ,Ford Ranger ,Isuzu, Holden Colorado,etc

7 Likes

Unfortunately so.

The Triple M brand could have commanded a far higher audience value than what it is today.

3 Likes

Most labourer’s / tradies I know are listening to Dance Hits, or here in Adelaide Fresh FM. Not sure who MMM’s target demographic is anymore - they’ve tried to balance out their weekday playlist with less male-oriented rock, then on weekends call footy (soon to be cricket) all day. The new playlist was refreshing for a while but lately is all over the place - some real downtempo Vance Joy type stuff, followed up by a Billy Joel classic, then a couple of Foo Fighters tracks that have been flogged to death. It really is quite difficult to listen to for extended periods at the moment.

9 Likes

I Listen to Fresh most days and not I’m not in SA

Fresh is one of the best stations in the country.
They are their own brand… they aren’t trying to copy anybody… they make the brand their own.
They are leaders in Dance Music in this country, I hear songs on Fresh and then 3-4 months later Nova is playing it calling it a new hit.
They are live and local.
They have one of the best streams sounding streams in the country.

(Disclaimer: I dont work there or know anybody there)

10 Likes

I completely agree.

Back in the day I’d flick between Fresh92.7 and i1197 Brisbane for my dance fix.

3 Likes
3 Likes

should have brought back “Rocktober” (SCA owns the trademark).

9 Likes

100% agree. Leave Oztober for some other time of the year (eg Australia Day long weekend).

4 Likes

[Triple M (Rocktober 1993) - 1993 Australian TV Commercial - YouTube]

from mubd1234’s Aussie Media Archive

3 Likes

Yes I would much rather Rocktober

3 Likes

What sbout Ockertober?

7 Likes

Or even Othertober.

Playing all the other songs radio has forgotten all month.

And now that the football season is (almost) over, good to hear the “Flock Of 80s Friday” continuing into the night. Some good tunes on tonight too.

5 Likes

Did I hear it right? Did the ad say, “Feels Good, Rocktober” at the end?

So the whole “feel good” was happening back then as well?

1 Like

Perth’s Real Alternative is officially the new Triple M Perth positioner

7 Likes

Did they launch with something similar?

Edit: it was that Perth would soon have a real rock station.

2 Likes

In 2013, they launched a version of MMM Perth on DAB and positioned it as “Perths Real Music Alternative”. It was closed in 2014 and was replaced with Triple M Modern Rock.

3 Likes

I’ve had a bit of a listen this morning. Personally I quite like the new format.
I see they are not a pure rock station anymore, I heard Swedish House Mafia, Hilltop Hoods & Fatboy Slim (which I don’t mind)mixed in with rock tunes from the 90s to now.

6 Likes

Looking at their website, they played Ben Folds’ Rockin’ the Suburbs and now The Offspring. I really wish 2MMM would follow.

4 Likes