Triple M Network

Announced earlier this year. Moving from South Melbourne to… err, South Melbourne.

6 Likes

Was announced a few months ago. Still South Melbourne but everyone (Hit and Listnr, podcasting etc) all on the same floor.

7 Likes

While it came out of the blocks very strongly, the Marty Sheargold Show seems to have gone down hill with endless inane quizzes and hosts who are in love themselves. While it works for Nova, seemingly I am not alone, 3MMM’s breakfast ratings having nearly halved from 6.8 at the end of 2020 to 3.8 in the last survey.

5 Likes

They need to address there music. Who are they targeting? Golds music is safe and to somewhat boring, but Triple M is to hard and blokey. I also think it’s weird how they have 2 female announcers? Sarah Maree 9:00 to 12:00, then Rosie 12:00 to 15:00. Then Marty replay at 15:00 does nothing for me

6 Likes

The quizes are a holdover from KTM, and yes there’s far too many.

5 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly about the music. Triple M hasn’t been right for years. It is too blokey and not even most blokes want that. It’s just too narrow and unrelentingly the same. There’s no edginess at all. When you listen to rock stations in North America, even classic rock ones, there’s still an edginess or depth to some of the music they play. Of course they play the well known classics, but it’s not every damn song. And they don’t stray away entirely from softer rock as long as there’s something edgy about the track.

When I listen to Triple M it just feels shallow and I always get the feeling Spotify could choose better music.

In the UK both Absolute and Virgin do the same thing and manage to sound relevant and interesting in the songs they play.

I think for me a lot of radio programmers here are so focused on the ‘talent’ and other content they just don’t focus enough on the music. Either that or they’re frankly no good at it.

9 Likes

Ive also said this before about them - they are all over the shop. you don’t know what your getting with them.

are you getting music? are you getting AFL / NRL or are you getting talk (luke Bona?)

in trying to be everything to men, they are nothing

4 Likes

Exactly. Fitzy is as bad as Gemma when it comes to this. They’ve had failed stations for ages (between 2MMM and 3MMM at different times) yet seem to stick around like a bad smell.

5 Likes

Would I be correct in saying that Triple M is unique as in there’s no other known stations throughout the world that have this unique male oriented format that’s a mix of rock music, sport & talk?

3 Likes

I remember many years ago when MMM Melbourne went all-out blokey and decided they were no longer going to play songs sung by females. Prior to then you’d hear the occasional Kellie Clarkson or Pink song but then nothing. No female announcers either and it took a long time before a female was given her own shift. Kim Stirling did mid-dawns but from memory Jane Gazzo was the first with her own daytime shift.

2 Likes

I think there were a couple of exceptions:

Baby Animals (first album only)
Blondie
Weir - Killing Heidi

can’t think of any others atm

2 Likes

Yep they’re pretty unique - and in a bad way.

99% of rock stations in North America are just that - rock stations.

3 Likes

Add:
Divinyls
The Superjesus
Cranberries
Fleetwood Mac (including Stevie Nicks’ solo work)

4 Likes

It is possible to enjoy rock music and have a brain.

Triple M seems to believe that people who enjoy rock music only have a dick and a pulse.

10 Likes

Add Hole to that list as well

3 Likes

I would agree with that but in fairness to Triple M they have got the music right on their DAB+ channels, MMM 90s, MMM Soft Rock and MMM Classic Rock. They all sound excellent IMO.

Triple M sydney today is playing 70s tracks, which is good.

But in the main, yes, the FM stations need to stop sounding so safe and predictable.

4 Likes

Alanis Morrissette and Melissa Etheridge too.

2 Likes

Extremely repetitive though. Back when I used to have to/could leave the house in the morning I had Triple M 90s on my alarm clock - in the half hour or so a day I’d listen, I’d probably hear the same song more than once a week.

Obviously that’s the issue with decades stations, but they could dive deeper into album tracks and lesser hits to minimise repetition.

4 Likes

Thanks @Radiohead and @tommy13190 . I think we’ve busted the myth that “3MMM went all-out blokey” as claimed by @JeepersCreepers. I don’t believe it’s the case now or in the last 5 years, plenty of female artists.

1 Like

No, it definitely happened but it was much longer than 5 years ago. I mentioned Kellie Clarkson, and this single was released around 2004 so I think it was around that time. A friend worked at the station when it happened and it was part of a huge push to increase male listeners.

3 Likes