Triple M Network

Triple M’s coverage (listened for about an hour) has had substantially fewer ads and sponsorships in it than the Macquarie coverage, though they somewhat waste it given how they seem to talk about nearly anything but the match currently happening - the actual cricket seems an aside to the anecdote being told.

Probably should have fewer people in the box at once, they seemed to have 6 or so people there, with only Brayshaw actually doing play by play calling.

Didn’t have a chance to listen while O’Keefe was calling, do they just alternate him and JB?

I caught about 20 minutes with Mark Howard and Kerry doing most of the commentary with Mick Molloy and another bloke chiming in occasionally.

The conversational style they’re going for I found was hit and miss - when it ‘worked’, it was a good listen hearing the people in the box tell an anecdote or discussing something. However, there were times like you said when they focused less on what was happening on field. I’m sure as they find their footing, a better balance will be found between the two.

They seemed to have four people in the box at anytime - a play by play caller, two people who were giving analysis and a comedian. In regards to O’Keefe, he seems to be their main analyst so whenever he was in the box, he would do most of the talking aside from the caller.

I’m a ABC listener but after making myself listen to MMM’s coverage most of yesterday to get a sense of what it’s like, I’ll be going back to it every now and then. Due to them having ads after every 2nd over, it’s far less jarring to listen to compared to Macquarie where it’s stop-start-stop-start because they have ads after every over.

Gus Worland was doing play by play at one points as was Michael Slater

I caught Michael Slater doing ball-by-ball and he wasn’t too bad. Agreed though it hasn’t sucked me in, a few Kerry O’Keeffe anecdotes aside. But early days still

IMO the best cricket commentary can actually not be directly related to what’s going on out on the field at the time. There’s times on the ABC for instance where you’ll have Jim or Gerard just encouraging the ‘star’ along to tell his story, which is often very gripping and engaging. If MMM do it right, especially with Skull, it could prove to be a good listen

1 Like

I would listen to radio commentary whilst watching, too, but the lag between audio and vision is too bothersome. There are few things more Australian than driving with the cricket on the radio- the long distances tempered by whimsical anecdotes and breaks for “The Country Hour”.

1 Like

will the regionals tarnish the triple m brand with there inferior all over the shop playlists because i associate triple m with rock music and will triple ms music change when the regionals take the same feed

1 Like

I don’t know about ‘tarnishing’ the brand as such, but it has created a bit of inconsistency about what Triple M stands for.

But I doubt it will impact on the ratings - in metro areas at least.

Triple M’s biggest challenge will be to ensure they don’t lose regional listeners in the transition, some of who may think they are losing a local station.

2 Likes

Exactly. And I think that the wording used for both networks that the stations are “joining” the hit or Triple M networks potentially makes it sound like that stations have been bought out by a new operator, who would be expected to change more than an existing operator.

3 Likes

With AFL, they call the match straight. for example on ABC, you very rarely hear Gerard veer away from the action on the field. Tim Lane and Tony Leonard on 3AW are like that too. MMM is the one exception.

IMHO the brand will be further tarnished by the lower quality overall of the regionals, but the metros have already sunk pretty low over recent years anyway. The rock heritage has already been trashed and boganized

5 Likes

Mike Fitzpatrick Survey 8

As of this morning, three songs an hour in Luke Bona’s middawn talk show.

Bogan rock songs?:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Cricket seems to be continuing on digital today.

105.1 fm triple m orange is streaming the cricket. Oops. Other have the rights restriction message.

1 Like

I don’t think Triple M Melbourne has ever used the tagline “when/because your ears have brains”. As far as I know, that was the Triple M Sydney tagline when it launched…at the time EON-FM’s tagline was The Rock of Ages, followed by the Rock Force, then Triple Your Music before it was re-branded as Triple M and became Melbourne’s New Rock of the 90s…and then there was a monkey - enough said.

2 Likes

Yeah that pretty much sums it up the way you just put it

Wonder how Triple M classic hits would go in Sydney? Would ARN block them? Given WSFM was once classic hits. One thing that this rebranding has done, I have discovered the classic hits Triple M stations are pretty good.

Put this in the regional SCA thread to read all posts together.