Travel & Holidays

Nine must have a journalist sitting watching Flightradar24 for this kind of stuff.

Is it really newsworthy
https://twitter.com/9newsadel/status/1617692473199038464?s=46&t=cfY8v34cV3OG_OUHXxce8Q

1 Like

BREAKING NEWS - QANTAS flight arrives on time, does not break down, does not turn back, no engines catch fire or stop working or have large holes open in them. (However, some luggage was missing). Passengers praise pilots for smooth landing. Live at the airport ā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s not, but frustratingly this is par for the course when Qantas has a major incident. Media did exactly the same thing around the QF32 and QF72 incidents 10+ years ago.

Any news around this Bonza airline? I was wanting one of the routes around Easter peak as the others are charging us a bomb for a flight.

They said operations start next Tuesday but canā€™t se anything on the app.

Australia made the top 10.

• San SebastiĆ”n, Spain.
  • Dresden, Germany.
  • Klaipeda, Lithuania.
  • York, UK.
  • Ushuaia, Argentina.
  • Porto De Galinhas, Brazil.
  • Mexico City, Mexico.
  • Gold Coast, Australia.

2023ā€™s Most Welcoming Regions On Earth

• La Rioja, Spain
  • Epirus, Greece
  • Oberosterreich, Austria
  • County Down, UK
  • Mures, Romania
  • Marlborough, New Zealand
  • Ninh Binh, Vietnam
  • Limon, Costa Rica
  • Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
  • North Dakota, US
2 Likes

There is one article today. You will need to delete the Bonza app on your phone and download the latest version to book flights.

2 Likes

Having a quick look not many flights and options.

Really restricted to 2-3 days of the week and need to fly whatever time. I do like daily or twice daily frequencies with the option to select AM or PM.

Really is targeting the leisure non tied down traveller .

2 Likes

I donā€™t really see any of their routes being successful with anymore frequencies then this.

Remember this is their first tranche of offerings - theres still another tranche (including Melbourne) to come in a few weeks

Avalon route should be Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. Probably should be more strategic with Melbourne timings, that is the bread and butter after all. They need to watch that, many down south will want to go out on a Friday/Sat and come back Sun/Mon.

The Sunny Coast-Whitsunday flights is a late night one which wonā€™t be too popular.

Queensland Leisure traffic especially Gold Coast/Sunny Coast and Cairns is largely all morning/midday. Some days those cities have no flights after 6pm.

Leisure traffic is primarily weekend. I know iā€™m flying to Mel in May for a weekend. Iā€™m flying down from Brisbane around 11am on Friday (iā€™m yet to book) but by the time i get to Mel and get to the CBD my hotel will be waiting for me. I will than fly home on monday around 2 pm - means I can sleep in, check out at 10, go to the airport not rushed and relax in the lunge (iā€™ll be flying VA business)

it means my wifew can pick the kids up from school than pick me up.

when i travel for business however, its completely different. early flights out, late afternooon back

1 Like

I hate flying at night.

Apart from having to try and sleep on longer flights, I like to get a window seat and see the world pass by under me.

Iā€™m flying to Hawaii in 2 weeks, itā€™s mostly night, leaving Sydney 5.30pm arriving Honolulu at 9am local time. There were no day time flights from Jetstar or QANTAS and most foreign carriers donā€™t have direct flights (usually via LAX and back to Hawaii).

2 Likes

Not a fan of the Hawaii schedules, you always arrive at like 6/7/8am and then you need to wait 5 hours for the hotel. A friend booked to arrive the night before but they gave his room away so still had to wait.

I do like the daytime flights back however.

I also try and opt for daylight flights AU-LAX, and the rare LAX-AU flights which land at 8pm ish. Not sure if they still run, I took the Virgin daylight flight back to Brisbane which still connected with the last flights of the day back home before midnight. Those overnight flights from the US are terrible, especially with the headwinds can be 15/16 hours. In future we will just stop in Hawaii for a few days then take the daylight flight back to Aus.

1 Like

The hotel Iā€™m staying at offers an early check in from 9am for an extra $50 depending on availabilityā€¦ Iā€™ve asked for that as that will definitely be worth it.

Yes the daytime schedule back is much betterā€¦ leaving HNL at 11.10am local, in SYD 3.40pm even though I lose a day coming back.

That is a good price.

Hawaiian is probably the best on the route, they will be getting new 787s soon I believe too.

Southwest is a game changer in the Hawaii market now, offers so many more direct mainland and intra island flights. 2 free bags is the winner for us. Be good if they could connect to some more locations this side of the pacific.

1 Like

Virgin Australia flights to LAX were amazing, actually one of the best flights Iā€™ve been on. I really hope they bring back long-haul in wide bodies.

Melbourne - Hawaii seems like it was just Jetstar available all last year, but maybe Qantas was just constantly sold out. Iā€™ve been Jetstar both times to Hawaii and it was fine.

2 Likes

yeah i used to do it when going to the chicago office. was my preferred flight, but the travel agents we have through work always defaulted to qantas. I honestly preferred VA business class.

I know when i go Europe (either on holidays or the London or Birmingham office) I try to get the 23:50 SQ departure. Iā€™ll generally work all day, come home, have dinner with the fam before they drop me off. Iā€™ll check in, go to lounge and eat (SQ only serve one meal between Australia and Singapore) than board and try to stay awake until we land in Changi

i try to switch to the EU timezone as soon as iā€™m on board - so much so iā€™ll ask them to remove the mattress pad as its normally fitted when i board. If iā€™m a flight with a lounge / bar area iā€™ll often sit there, have a drink or two and shoot the breeze with whoever is around.

after landing in Changi iā€™ll go to the lounge (normally have around 3 to 4 hours there) before getting onto the London flight and crashing for 8 or so hours. by the time i landed and got to my hotel it was around 5pm (depending on customs and immigration) so iā€™d eat dinner, watch 2 or 3 hours of TV and crash until 7.

almost never had jet lag going over (coming home though was the killer)

3 Likes

That is a good point, if I am going to NYC I will take the 6am LAX arrival before connecting and I generally hit the NYC hotel by sunset. Get up next morning for a late breakfast. I donā€™t really fuss if I donā€™t sleep for the whole way over as I know when I arrive we can fit in a solid session. We had a flight delay once for the LAX arrival, and got stuck on the red eye connection, landing at the destination (NYC) on sunrise after 20 hours is torture.

We are going to try something different for the next trip, take the direct daylight JFK-HNL, couple of days off, then the daylight HNL-Aus back.

I have no how how those airline crews can do that long haul stuff for a job. I struggle even on the daylight flights let alone those overnight sessions. I guess they get used to it.

1 Like

I over heard a flight attendant say that VA are set to receive the 787s in 2024

1 Like

All rumours at this point, however the fact theyā€™ve gone to such effort to keep the Tokyo Haneda slots would indicate wide bodies will return at some stage in the future.