Travel & Holidays

Melbourne to Mildura 3 a week won’t work. Needs to be daily. Very limited target market with that sort of frequency on this route.

Sunshine Coast is fairly seasonal isn’t it? The months May to September is fairly quiet, bit of a job trying to fill a 737 from some regional towns I think.

I will fly them Melbourne to some of those QLD destinations however. I would like to see a Broome flight also.

1 Like

If they can survive 4 years then they’ll be a very good candidate to fly out of Nancy Byrd Walton Airport in western Sydney.

At the moment they’re already hamstrung by not flying out of Kingsford Smith. There goes 5 million potential customers.

Cunard today launches its latest TV commercial to coincide with the start of the Australian Open. It features Delta Goodrem performing Waltzing Matilda on board Queen Elizabeth, as it sailed into Sydney in November last year, making the ship’s return for the first time since COVID pandemic.

What’s going on with Qantas? https://simpleflying.com/qantas-flight-turns-back-sydney-january-20/

It only news cause their our national airline plus their the safest airline in the world.

The way the media has been reporting on this the few days is like the world is ending causing unnecessary stress to the public.

Can’t be that safe with 4 incidents or something in however many days it was. I think their ageing fleet has something to do with it. Flew them for the first time in years on Thursday, usually I fly with Jetstar, and the plane looked and felt like it came straight out of 2005.

give me Qantas or virgin Australia over Jetstar anyday

Meh. You get what you pay for.

The media are only focusing on Qantas but all airlines face issues everyday.

1 Like

Well their plan is to replace the 737 & 717 with A321XLRs and A220-300s respectively.

No. I will never fly jetstar agaim after what happned to me and my partner flying to the goldcoast recently

I remember when Qantas had a string of issues close to one another a bit over a decade ago, between the QF32 A380 Engine failure and the QF72 in-flight upset, the media has reacted almost exactly the same way this week - total hysteria.

If you work in or adjacent to aviation in this country, you’d know how many unreported turn-backs and technical issues occur every day of the week in Australia across all airlines.

Their plane fleet is ageing,they need new aircraft
On my last flight (Jetstar)August last year the flight was delayed for over an hour so that a faulty PA system on the aircraft could be repaired .

my understanding both Qantas and Jetstar have good average fleet ages (~15 and ~12 respectively)

Yes Jetstar have a lot of older aircraft in their fleet,over 10 years old.The one I traveled on back then is about 15 years old

That’s relatively young in airlines, Deltas was flying MD 80’s up until a few years ago that was 30 years old, some airlines have early built A320’s still flying.

I recently travelled on a 20 year old 737 with VA. Still worked a treat

1 Like

Most of the fleets used for FIFO in this country between VARA, Alliance and QF Subsidiaries like Network are Fokker 100’s pushing 30, sometimes 35 years old.

VA just purchased used 10-15 year old 737-700s from KLM.
Alliance purchased E190s from various airlines that are pushing 20 years old, and these are now mostly flying in Qantaslink livery.
The only reason fleet renewal is occurring with some aircraft, like the Qantaslink B717’s is not because they’re old but because so few airlines are flying them that maintenance / parts are going to become too hard to source.

In this day and age, it’s not really a big deal anymore.
Look at Canada, because of how many gravel runways are in use in the remote north, 737-200’s that are approaching 50 years old are still in use, and not going anywhere anytime soon.

1 Like

It’s pretty hard to notice an old aircraft to your everyday passenger if the interior has been refurbished and updated. That’s what makes the difference to the consumer experience.

1 Like