Travel & Holidays

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-greatest-places-2022-time/index.html

Australia/NZ gets lumped in with Asia so are lucky to get 2 entries one of which is Freemantle.

Australia’s Great Barrier Reef and the port city of Fremantle both get nods, as does New Zealand’s Queenstown , a hub for adventure sports on South Island.

Time article

1 Like

Anyone here have any real preference of US domestic airlines?

I’ve got a choice between pretty much all of them - JetBlue, Spirit, United, American, Delta and Frontier at least all service the route - but everything you read is about how terrible all of them are.

I’ve flown American Airlines and Delta and both were terrible. AA was probably the worst plane I’ve every flown in, anywhere around the world.

1 Like

Is the best rated generally.

Delta is arguably the best of the ‘big three’ but that’s not really saying much considering American and United are both bottom of the barrel airlines that makes Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin look like Singapore Airlines by comparison.

1 Like

Heard JetBlue is good.

Not sure if Southwest serve that route but they appear to be good, watched a heap of flight reviews on Youtube. Jetblue is also good as others have said.

All current Jetstar direct flights from Perth to the Gold Coast have been cancelled.
Now we we have to stop over in Melbourne. Making our 4 1/2 hour flight into 10 hours

1 Like

Perth is probably the riskiest major city in Australia to take a Jetstar flight. All flights, with exception to Bali services (sometimes, not always though) rotate in and out of Perth, no aircraft or crew are based in Perth at all - if there’s a mechanical issue or a crew member is unwell / has exceeded their hours, it’s almost guaranteed the flight will be cancelled unless another flight is sacrificed (red-eye interstate services are often cancelled if the plane is required if there’s an issue with an existing plane allocated to a early morning Perth - Bali departure, for example).

Although Jetstar services to Perth are far more frequent now compared to before the pandemic, in 2019 it wasn’t unusual for less Jetstar services to operate out of Perth than Adelaide, Gold Coast even Darwin and Cairns.

Why not go via Brisbane instead?

1 Like

Why state’s luxury resorts lay abandoned:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/australian-holidays/queensland/paradise-lost-why-luxury-queensland-resorts-lay-abandoned/news-story/147956d7269358853c71f31ef27e192d

Major power failure at Perth Airport yesterday after a high voltage transmission line feeding the site failed. It disrupted travel and forced flights to be cancelled. A review is taking place.

The airport still feels regional, particularly on the western Qantas side. Carpark is over crowded. The major issue is there’s no seperation for departures and arrivals over two levels like most other airports.

A new multi level carpark is being built at T1 and the new train line should open soon, that will alleviate congestion.

Perth Airport is doing little to bust the over east stereotype of ‘travel to WA, go back 30 years and not 3 hours***’.

***In summer.

1 Like

Unfortunate reality when it was meant to be closed by 2025. Not likely to happen until 2030 now.

This was /is to do with a combination of the use of long term carpark space for FIFO COVID screening as well as a change of pricing strategy, resulting in long term parking generally been cheaper than taxi or rideshare return fare. Pre-COVID, they could barely fill one long term carpark in each precinct with the prices they charged, and now they’re all full. This will be rectified in the coming months as Perth Airport beef up capacity in advance of multi-level carpark construction to commence after the train station opens.

Despite the criticism, I’d say that the domestic airport experience at Perth, particularly Virgin T1 is nation leading. It’s unbelievable that Sydney T3 for example still has manned check-in counters for bag drop!

Flew Melbourne to Sydney. Went with
Rex (using the old Virgin 737s). Was only about
20 people onboard. I got worried as we didn’t board until the last minute. Whole plane was boarded in like 2 minutes. The return flight had about 40 people.

Are flights always this empty with Rex? The flight I did with them 6 months ago was actually even more empty. I couldn’t get a seat with Virgin or Jetstar so went with them. Clearly nobody else is .

1 Like

It’s been rumoured that this has been the case quite consistently for SYD-MEL / MEL-SYD, though allegedly the other routes perform better.

They’re apparently about to bring on even more 737s, so the strategy doesn’t seem to be going away.

Perhaps new routes like transcon or something. Cairns is pretty busy from what I’ve seen also

At the same time, they’re allegedly been actively looking at reducing their regional footprint too (especially markets where they compete with VA or QLink) and have been pushing for a return (at least in NSW) to having protected routes into Sydney.

They’ve also bought National Jet Express

1 Like

I was last there 10 years ago so I don’t remember the way it was set out