Travel & Holidays

It is now official. People who check in at the Virgin Australia counters at T3 now have to walk around to T4, go downstairs and pass through the new security gates, then walk through the corridor back to the departure gates at T3.

1 Like

Last night my return Jetstar flight from Townsville was delayed over an hour because the aircraft’s PA system was not working. I was thinking this aircraft isn’t going anywhere and I won’t get home tonight,All. good,safely home in Brisbane again

2 Likes

It’s very much a case of ‘expect the worst, hope for the best’ with air travel at the moment.

1 Like

I was relieved when the captain of the flight informed all passengers of the problem after sitting on the ground for half an hour with no reason for the late departure

Not unexpected.

The money the council has and continues to try and pour into this airport is a major sore point with locals - the council has outrageous / unrealistic ambitions for the potential for the airport (daily flights from multiple airlines from MEL/SYD, international flights from SIN). The area has zero public transport infrastructure and as the article indicates tourists have no choice but to hire a car to be able to get around at all.

If the government funding disappears, have to wonder if Jetstar will maintain this flight going forward.

Doubt it. They said they would walk away from Avalon if Andrews (sorry, I mean us taxpayers) didn’t fund it. He is funding the losses until the end of this decade.

Why these smaller regional airports work well in the USA, is because they all have solid transport options. Such a small part but such a huge part in luring the airlines/passengers.

There have also got to be other things to attract passengers/tourists to those areas, Geelong (Avalon) doesn’t really have that
 Busselton and Avalon also suffer from their proximity to other major airports in Perth and Melbourne

I can’t see many tourists wanting to go Busselton or Avalon without wanting to go to Perth or Melbourne as well, so they probably want to go via PER/MEL because they can get a more suitable or cheaper flight?

1 Like

the only reason i flew to avalon was that Jetstar’s flights from BNE went there instead of Tullamarine and the flights were cheap. it eventully got to the point that if Virgin or Qantas was within a $50 range i’d pay the extra to go to tullamarine instead.

my mother uses Avalon all the time as we have family in Geelong and its great for that

3 Likes
1 Like

Speaking about airlines, what happened to that Bonza airline?. I recall they said they were starting back in June, they said this last year.

Was delayed. They’ve taken delivery of their first plane. Still a bit of watch this space as to when flights go on sale.

Can report that the Virgin Lounge in Adelaide is now back to self service rather than relying on staff to serve breakfast options. Managed to jump the security lines too thanks to platinum status (not that it was overly busy compared to other days if media reports are accurate).

“officially” (well their ceo is telling the media this) they’re hoping to start in November in a number of ports

Supposedly they’re having issues getting regulatory approval as well as having a shortage of aircraft

1 Like

I would think the raison d’ĂȘtre for the Busselton flights would be the Margaret River wine region and the associated surf beaches/nature around there. But as mentioned, zero public transportation around there, as in many regional areas.

1 Like

New GC airport terminal open.

The expansion includes four glass aerobridges, additional retail spaces and new boarding facilities, as well as sprawling views over the Gold Coast hinterland.

From next month, those flying direct to the Gold Coast from New Zealand, Singapore and Japan will arrive via the terminal expansion and in March 2023, it will welcome passengers from Bali.

https://twitter.com/7NewsGoldCoast/status/1567783319303262209?s=20&t=GuRk5qkn2v7ylh4gdW7lsg

2 Likes

Are domestic flights still using the existing terminal at Gold Coast Airport?

1 Like

GC’s new terminal is open for domestic travel - it opens to international travel in October.

5 Likes