Travel & Holidays

I’m off to Townsville for a few days in August,to get away from work ,escape the cold and catch up with friends .Used my credit from Jetstar that I’ve had for over a year

I’m glad I don’t need to renew for a few years yet, I was even worried when I first applied in 2015 that it would take forever but thankfully it took just about a month, probably helped by applying in Melbourne rather than from a regional base.

I renewed mine in March 2020. Has been a wise investment so far.

1 Like

I renewed mine then too, whilst i haven’t needed it since it feels good to know it’s all done now with all of the delays that are currently occurring.

1 Like

Yeh same. I’d never let it expire.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Back in Newcastle now after a few days on the Gold Coast.

Gold Coast Airport was a bit of a disaster…. My flight got delayed by an hour, so I had to stand up for 2.5 hours as it was nigh on impossible to get a seat anywhere, as a result people were sitting on the floor everywhere I looked. It made the airport look a bit 3rd world. And it wasn’t even school holidays or peak travel season, I’d hate to think what it would be like then.

2 Likes

Sorry for your experience in the airport. Hopefully my flights don’t get delayed when I go at the start of August, and I also hope the airport seats aren’t full. I am lucky to not go during school holidays, with it being around Week 4-5 of the next school term, far from holidays. I hope I have better luck in Melbourne/Gold Coast airport.

2 Likes

Wasn’t the Gold Coast airport getting a upgrade?Aerobridges and all?

They really need to bulldoze the whole thing and build an actual proper airport. It’s just a tin shed with lipstick and bandages at the moment.

2 Likes

Agree, it was way too small for the number of people that were there yesterday.

1 Like

Gold Coast Airport was actually busier than Canberra Airport in 2020-21:

1 Like

oh definitly. needs to be done prior to 2032 as it will be a hub airport for the games.

as an interesting fact, half the airport is actually is NSW, and to access it from the north the reccomended way was driving into NSW and coming back north.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1536596106431582209

2 Likes

Interestingly that makes Queensland a more travelled to place thannNSW. They have 4 airports in the top 10.

2 Likes

Because driving through Tugun is a nightmare for traffic. And there’s easy access coming off the Tugun Bypass in NSW

The ‘go north for holidays’ mentality is very strong in Australia. This works in the cool season but not so well in the warm season when, apart from the heat, there’s generally more chance of rain the further north you go along the east coast.

The grey nomads are a bit savvier, following the sun in winter but retreating to the sunnier and calmer southern states when that angry orb fancies some fried kangaroo. My own schedule is as follows:

Nov-Mar: Coastal Victoria, Tasmania and New Zealand
Apr-May: South Australia, SW WA (drier autumns), inland Victoria. Avoid the mountains and Perth due to excessive hazard reduction burning.
Jun-Aug: Queensland, northern WA, NT
Sep-Oct: NSW (drier springs); inland VIC

My parents have to put up with constant aircraft noise as they live underneath the flight path to and from Coolangatta airport.
Thank goodness this airport has a curfew,no flights after about 10 pm at night

1 Like

I live right under the Melbourne flight path, just as the planes are descending into Tulla. I love it.

1 Like

I could only imagine how much worse it might be if they didn’t build the Tugun-Airport bypass/tunnel back in the mid/late 00s.

hopefully they have this, along with the tube strike sorted by september when i go

1 Like

I never knew Daryl Kerrigan was on the forum. I must be dreamin’!

1 Like