Travel & Holidays

2 Likes

I know thereā€™s a lot more flights to and from the Gold Coast again ,almost as many as there was pre COVID 19.
For a while my parents were getting a break from the constant aircraft noise they usually have to put up with ,they live right under the flight path for Coolangatta airport . Thank goodness this airport has a curfew,no flights after about 11 pm at night until 6am the next morning.

The Spirit of Tasmania will set sail from Port Melbourne for the final time on October 22, after 37 years. The ferry will arrive at the purpose-built terminal at Corio Quay in Geelong the following day.

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see if this has any effect on passengers numbers.

1 Like
2 Likes

Hi everyone:

I am going on a trip to the Gold Coast in early August this year with my family, from the 4th to the 8th. We have booked it last July, however we havenā€™t really came up with any ideas on what to do yet. We have planned to go to the theme parks (Movie World, Sea World, Wet nā€™ Wild, not Dreamworld) and have a day at the beach. Any other ideas?

2 Likes

Do you have your own car or planning to rent a car at GC? You can take your family to Gold Coast Hinterland.

1 Like

Thanks @JohnsonTV. I might be able to as we are renting an 8-seat van (extended family coming as well) We plan to have a meeting with everyone who is coming, I might tell them about this. Unfortunately we would probably not stay the night there as we are staying in Coolangatta.

1 Like

Thereā€™s places further afield like a day trip to Byron Bay or the Tweed Valley.

You also have all the tourist trap attractions in Surfers Paradise like Ripleyā€™s and Infinity.

Pacific Fair and Robina Town Centre are the places for shopping.

Also Draculaā€™s at Broadbeach is interesting if you want an alternative option for dinner.

The Hinterland is amazing. Iā€™m not a fan of the Gold Coast myself but I really enjoyed the Hinterland. Are you taking children?

Advice heard this morning for anyone travelling on a passport - get in early. There is such a rush on that there is an approximate 6 week wait. Also remember that many countries require a passport that wonā€™t expire in the next 6 months.

1 Like

iā€™m hearing its closer to 10 weeks at the moment

i personally donā€™t understand people who book overseas holidays without a passport in there hand. Iā€™m off to london in september and and the first thing i did was check my passports expiry date (2028 fortunately) - and yes i understand about emergencies, but not all of these are surely.

3 Likes

Yes, whilst Iā€™m not planning on going overseas until 2023, i got my passport renewed in March online (it was due to expire in April). I got my updated passport 2 weeks later and all good now until April 2032 :smile:

Yeah I have a work colleague who is going to Fiji next month and she hasnā€™t sorted her childā€™s passport out. I was just thinking you arenā€™t going with her.

I personally have never booked a trip without a passport or renewed one. My last trip I waited to book until I had my renewed passport

I applied for my passport back in March and still havenā€™t heard a buzz from them. Tried to call the APO and the one time I got through I was put in hold for over an hour. Every other time was ā€œWeā€™re currently experiencing very high demands Blah blah blahā€¦ā€

Nice job DFAT :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Passports used to be able to be obtained in a few days if ā€˜expeditedā€™. People just arenā€™t realising the changed circumstances.

1 Like

Nine News now has a story

A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson said it was experiencing ā€œunprecedented high demandā€ for its passport services, following the reopening of Australiaā€™s international border.

ā€œWe normally receive between 7000 and 9000 applications per working day. Currently, we are receiving 10,000 to 12,000 applications per working day,ā€ the spokesperson said.

The office said they currently had four weeks worth of work in the processing queue and customers should allow up to six weeks to get a passport or renew one.

Thatā€™s a huge wait. Have you got a trip planned?

1 Like

No way at the rate the department is processing everything. I need one (a holiday) to get everything of the last two years off my back but I guess the only place thatā€™s happy to have me is work :rofl:

I wonā€™t be going overseas for a while yet so it doesnā€™t matter to me if thereā€™s a wait to renew your passport.Iā€™ve ever had to get one yet as Iā€™ve never left AustraliašŸ˜•Tasmania doesnā€™t count as going overseas,Iā€™ve been there twice