Travel & Holidays

That is completely different for you. I really want to go to Israel. I have been to Qatar for a day. I did the Museum of Islamic Art. Qatar really wasn’t for me though.

Yeah I’m not expecting a lot from Qatar as it seems like a less touristy Dubai with not so much to see and do… so have booked a nice hotel there and really just plan to mostly sit by the pool and beach for most of it. Will be good way to end the trip as Jordan and Israel is going to be doing a lot of tours.

2 Likes

Have a great time!

it’s grueling. I did it a few months ago for work (I was in the perth office, than went to head office in london). on the way home i went via singapore and it was much better. i wouldn;t do it again

1 Like

Was the Airbus a380 product better than the boeing 787-9 Dreamliner?

It’s about 17 hours, isn’t it?

That would be almost intolerable.

I think so yes. the A380 seats seemed more comfortable and i have a soft spot for the A380 as when i first started with my current company they flew me to the head office in london in first on the A380 whereas the only time i flew the dreamliner was in economy.

in ecconomy yes. my tolerance in ecconomy is around 13 hours at the max (basicly to LA) and thats at a stretch so the 17 was just insane.

1 Like

I would have thought that qantas are in process of upgrading their a380 as their seats are too outdated. It was about time they should have upgraded the seats last year and also the entertainment system.

How outdated the seats isn’t all that relevant when QFs A380 cabin is a lot more comfortable in economy pitch / width wise.

The 787 has a nicer fitout but is a lot more cramped.

Looking for some help. I want to get an overseas sim so I can basically use the internet easier when overseas. Can anyone assist me in doing this or send a site they have used?

I have not had good experiences with those bought here in Oz.

Always found it best to get one from one of their own telcos once you are there.

Or if you are with Vodafone you can use your plan over there for $5 per day (for some countries) which might be a better option depending on how long you are there for.

Global roaming type SIM cards are always a rip off in comparison to buying a SIM in each country you visit. It’s a case of paying extra for the “convenience” of not having to swap your SIM out for each country you visit.

1 Like

Yeah I’d just get one upon landing in your first port.

Thanks everyone.

On my last couple of overseas trips I didn’t even bother changing SIMs and just used Telstra Passport instead. If you are a Telstra customer and activate Telstra passport when you travel, you get an overseas daily allowance (which is generally enough) for $5 any day that you use data. Which is perfect for me. When I’m travelling there are days where I don’t need my phone especially if I have wifi at my accom so don’t pay it those days but then I have it when I need it. It got me through Europe last year and it’s available in most common countries.

2 Likes

Back of my eyelids if possible, although I was able to watch Creed 2 on the weekend.

Got a business class upgrade on the JNB-CPT leg of my trip a couple of days ago, sampling a flat bed for the first time. Interior is so Ansett 1990’s (so was the inflight entertainment system). Was fairly lucky that on the PER-JNB trip I got a row to myself and was able to stretch out a little. Not so from CPT-DUR where the plane was full, but given this weekend is where 21000 runners are converging on Durban it shouldn’t be a shock.

As for Cape Town, I was at least attentive to my taxi driver who suggested to do Table Mountain on the Monday rather than the Tuesday (it rained all day yesterday). Views were thrilling although I have been at higher altitudes (this is only about 1040m above sea level, Mt.Wellington is above 1200m. The cable car tip is to try to get on late and stay away from the edge as the floor rotates as you rise/drop 700m in a matter of minutes.

2 Likes

SAA hasn’t touched the interior of some of it’s fleet since it was first delivered in the early 2000s, anecdotally the IFE PER-JNB barely functions half the time. Since they’re forever broke it’ll be interesting if they ever actually attempt to modernize the fleet that they use, as nothing is currently on the order books.

Three UK have a SIM which works right across Europe. Get that if you’re going to Europe through the UK.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I normally do but I’m not going to the UK until the end of my trip and I have tried to get other sims but I struggle to set them up due to them talking in other languages and I’m not really tech savvy.

1 Like

Hi all!

My other half and I have some time off in July and have decided to book a holiday to both Canberra and Sydney.
We’re flying to Canberra first, spending some time there, then flying to Sydney, staying for about a week and then heading home.

Neither of us have ever been to either city and are keen on some recommendations of what to see and do?