Travel & Holidays

Nothing. I tend to read, even on long haul flights with good IFE, or I might bring my Switch along and play games.

1 Like

I sometimes watch a movie but it has to grab my attention quickly otherwise I get bored.

I also find TV shows pass the time faster.

1 Like

I watch the Flight Tracker the whole way and listen to music on my phone.

Iā€™m one of those who will try and get the window seat every time, and I just HAVE to know where I am.

1 Like

Favourite memory of mine was flying to Europe for the very first time, going off to spend six months on exchange there, and looking out the window at sunrise and seeing snowy Turkish mountains stretching out for as far as I could see.

2 Likes

USed a flight tracker whilst listenjng to my music from my iPhone being connected to USB. (I used my iPhone earphones rather than flight headphones whilst listening to music)

1 Like

Yes, the sound quality of the in flight systems that I have tried in recent years is awful. It was better in the 90s.

I chose TV shows, since looking out the window wasnā€™t an option.

Last time I flew to Tokyo I got to see Mt. Fuji out my window, that was spectacular.

1 Like

On short domestic flights I usually watch TV shows.
Qantasā€™ inflight entertainment has gone backwards since it replaced its curated radio channels with podcasts of breakfast and drive shows from Nova, ARN and SCA (which are around 2-3 months old).

2 Likes

I usually plug my headphones straight away when I board my flight,to listen to my tunes from my phone, so I donā€™t hear any screaming babies if any are nearby.A window seat is preferable,itā€™s only a pain in the a**s if I need to leave my seat to use the bathroom :confused:then anyone seated next to me has to get out of their seats

2 Likes

I am in Adelaide for the next 6 days.

Got a QANTAS flight from Sydney, being a 2 hr 10 min scheduled flight, there were no personal entertainment screens (for some reason I thought flights over 2 hours had them? ) so no flight tracker for me :frowning:

Adelaide Airport is nice though.

1 Like

IFE is always going to be a gamble on any route where Qantas uses 737s regardless of flight length. Sometimes itā€™s there, sometimes not.

Now that the fleet has in flight SVOD and will (eventually) have in flight wifi, they arenā€™t adding IFE to 737s that donā€™t have it when aircraft are refurbished.

2 Likes

Yeah, Qantas is relying on passengers to have downloaded its IFE app to their smartphones or tablets beforehand so movies and TV shows can be streamed to the devices.

2 Likes

Any word if all qantas 737s have wifi on board?

Mine didnā€™t (it was a 737-800).

When I looked at the Arrivals and Departures screens in Sydney, only a few did (they have the wifi icon listed there).

Given its free, I can imagine it would be painfully slow.

Iā€™m not one for anything too long on a flight as I usually like to watch something for a short time and then listen to music or nap or whatever. So on long overseas flights I usually bring my tablet and have a couple of shows downloaded and ready to watch on there. However if Iā€™m turning on the in-flight entertainment itā€™s usually something short I can watch briefly such as Live TV World news and occasionally flick to things like flight tracker when food is coming around. I usually have a few random games on my tablet too just to occupy me when needed.

1 Like

Eventually they will (but seriously, by 2021 IIRC. Same deal for VA).

I thought there was a Food and Drink thread somewhere, but couldnā€™t find it.

Since Iā€™m in Adelaide for the first time, I thought Iā€™d try a West End beer, since you donā€™t see that around in NSW unlike Coopers (also a SA beer).

Whilst itā€™s a draught beer, itā€™s not as good as a Tooheys NEW. West End has something of a sour taste to it to my liking.

What unusual (non medical) travel items do you pack when you go on holidays?

I usually take

• An extension cord (since most places I stay at are stingy with power points).
  • Double Adaptor (as above)
  • And these days, a magnifying glass for my aging eyes!

If traveling by car, and depending where, I will sometimes take a Set Top Box and related equipment with me so I can DX some TV!

And a couple of radios!

1 Like

When going overseas a SIM Card Eject tool is essential. After spending time working in the arrivals section of an international Airport in recent years Iā€™ve never seen people scramble for anything possible to do this as they never ever take a tool or similar item (paper clip) with them.

Microfibre cloth to clean devices im carrying with me. A powerbank or three.

3 Likes

Has anyone been to Jordan, Israel or Qatar? Any tips? Just booked a holiday to these places in September. 4 day tour around Jordan (mostly going to see Petra) followed by a week in Tel Aviv (and will do trips to Jerusalem) and seeing as flying Qatar airways decided to finish it off in a nice hotel in Qatar for a few days. A very different holiday for me but looking forward to seeing a completely different part of the world.

2 Likes