Top Gear

Top Gear’s Nepal special (which preceded series 28) will now be shown on 9Rush on Sunday, June 21 at 7pm.

1 Like

25 seasons of Top Gear, including those hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, will stream on Amazon Prime in Australia and NZ from July 1.

2 Likes

BBC Studios will begin shooting the link sections of Top Gear from September 8 and has asked those attending to join a “drive-in” audience, from which they will be able to view Freddie Flintoff, Chris Harris, and Paddy McGuinness in action.

Lost In TV, which is managing ticketing for the show, said the recording will take place at Top Gear’s usual Dunsfold Park home and drivers will be asked to park a safe distance apart from each other.

Vehicles will be stationed on Top Gear’s Dunsfold track runway, Deadline understands, and there will be no seating or standing areas. A block of five episodes will be recorded in this way over three nights.

New series of Top Gear starts this Sunday on its new home of BBC One.

I notice the new season of Top Gear is not in 9Rush’s schedule for next week. Is Nine forcing local fans to wait for weeks or even months to see new episodes?

https://twitter.com/BBC_TopGear/status/1365293036398387200
That’s for series 30. 9Rush is yet to screen series 29.

According to Deadline:

The UK’s nation-wide lockdown even forced Top Gear out of its famous home at the Dunsfold race track for the first time in 19 years. With audiences out of the question, Flintoff, Harris, and McGuinness filmed the studio elements of the show at London’s iconic Television Centre, where they were fortunate to avoid winter rain.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m shocked. I love Sabine!

1 Like

A possible reboot of the Australian series?

It would have to land on a streamer or Foxtel I think, it’s too niche for a main channel and probably too expensive for a multi.

2 Likes

I hear Seven is interested :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Stripped eight nights a week - 2½ hour episodes.

4 Likes

SBS had the rights to the original UK version (circa 2009-2010) before they were snatched by Nine. Will Top Gear Australia be too commercial for SBS though?

SBS started showing Top Gear in December 2005 from Series 5 onwards on 7:30pm Monday nights. They later aired the first 4 series in 2008-10 on Saturday nights.

The first two series of Top Gear Australia was shown on SBS before Nine showed Series 3 & 4.

1 Like

The second season of the SBS attempt was reasonably good, before Nine trashed what was a promising presenter lineup.

To some extent it’s basically a travel program now - so if the idea was ‘great drives in Australia’ in either good or cheap cars - wrapped in Top Gear branding, it’d probably be reasonably cheap and exportable.

6 Likes

I really hope not - we dont need another go at this

The presenters from the first season included Warren Brown, Charlie Cox and Steve Pizzati. All 3 should be available for a reboot

1 Like

Shane Jacobson also hosted Top Gear Australia and should be available too.

1 Like

Top Gear is moving from 9Rush to Stan. Series 31 premieres on Stan on November 14, same day as the BBC broadcast.
https://twitter.com/StanAustralia/status/1458904405218971654

EDIT: according to TV Tonight:

Stan has a new multi-year deal with BBC Studios with exclusive rights to future season.

1 Like

According to TVtonight they have said this; “

Fans can enjoy even more Top Gear action with Seasons 29 and 30 available to stream for the first time in Australia exclusively on Stan. The addition of these seasons, along with Seasons 27 and 28, to Stan’s existing Top Gear catalogue, will mean hours and hours of the world’s most popular motorsport show will be available to stream on Stan.

Question is; what does this mean for 9Rush and the path that channel will go down?

1 Like