Tokyo Olympics Coverage

Yeah starting Tuesday too with the IOC session and sports starting Wednesday before the Brisbane Olympics bid and announcement at the IOC session on Wednesday night!

8 Likes

The Seven set even has a TV showing the main channel (I assume) via satellite from Australia.

1 Like

Pretty big set up from the Seven Network.

This question may have been answered before - but will the 7plus streams use Australian commentary or IOC?

I don’t think that has been confirmed or announced. I would assume it will use the IOC commentary feed given they are providing 40+ live channels.

3 Likes

Absolutely. It’ll be like previous Olympics, Comm Games, tennis. You’ll get the 7 and 7mate live streams (with Seven commentators or seconded commentary from BBC or OBS which they’ve done previously). And then you’ll get the raw feeds (the “40 channels”) with OBS/World feed commentary.

4 Likes

Do we know is ABC, SBS or Sky News have any reporters on the ground in Tokyo?

ABC already has Jake Sturmer in Tokyo as North Asia correspondent.

Rooney has been forced to withdraw from the coverage due to the current travel restrictions with Victoria (she lives in rural NSW, which is now a red zone, and most of Seven’s commentary will be done in Melbourne). She tweeted on Saturday:
https://twitter.com/GiaanRooney/status/1416369034270896139

1 Like

On The Latest last night Chris Reason said the 2032 Olympic vote would occur at 6:15 pm AEST and the result would be announced at 6:30 pm. It would be broadcast live for Queensland viewers, he said.

1 Like

We want it broadcast live for the rest of the country too!

it will be live on the IOC’s youtube channel and i’m sure you’d be able to watch the replay on 7+

And on the Olympics Channel on 7+. They will do a breaking news for the rest of the country as soon as each bulletin can once it is announced.

2 Likes

This article explains Giaan’s absence.

1 Like

You.

6 Likes

Why don’t you have any national pride? This is a historic and proud announcement for our nation.

Do we think this will be Bruce’s final Olympics? He is 68. Maybe he goes around for one final Olympics in 2024 given it is only 3 years away and make his last?

Australia has hosted the Olympics before, so it’s not historic, really.

Proud - well, every other hosting bid floundered in the wake of Covid. So they’re Bradburying over the finish line.

It’s also not compulsory to think hosting the Olympics is a good thing. The Olympics tend to cripple cities and the often spouted long term benefits never eventuate.

7 Likes

I could see it going either way.

When Seven first secured the broadcast rights to Tokyo 2020 I thought it would be Bruce McAvaney’s swansong.