Tokyo Olympics Coverage

Do Seven still produce any events for the IOC? They used to produce the swimming IIRC for Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008, not sure about Rio 2016. They won awards too, I know for Torino (winter) 2006.

Was reading Seven’s Beijing 2008 media kit (came across it online) some weeks back just for a flashback and curiosity, interesting to see both how much has changed but more so how much has stayed the same (some Seven Sport Olympics executives and producers go back decades).

No. Don’t think so at all. All done by the OBS (Olympic Broadcast services). 7 produced all aquatics events for Athens and Beijing and freestyle skiing for Torino

2 Likes

My understanding is on the ground access to athletes is going to be restrictive, even for host broadcasters.

Two layers of plexi glass sort of thing in mixed zones.

Do 7 have a hologram up their sleeve like we’ve seen from European broadcasters?

3 Likes

… OBS doesn’t have outside broadcast staff and facilities of its own … it hires them from rightsholding broadcasters (like 7, BBC and others) based on their particular skills and production companies/freelancers …

2 Likes
2 Likes

That sounds very interesting. NBC always go all out for the Olympics and always looks amazing (presentation wise).

Does Ryan Seacrest still host coverage of the Olympics for NBC?

100 days to go watermarks across 7’s channels.

1 Like

Love 7’s promo featuring athletes speaking, and it passing from one to the next.

3 Likes

That looks to be a picture of 7’s hosting team. What a rudimentary lineup of hosts.

1 Like

I understand 7flix wasn’t prepared/played-out internally (BCM and now NPC Media) during previous events (Rio 2016, Pyeongchang 2018 and Gold Coast 2018), but even today they’re still not matching the other channels? It continues to be a channel that bucks the trend with certain presentation, etc. Strange.

Trent Copeland has been scrapped it seems

As has Sonia Kruger

3 Likes

From Edwinas FB-

Couldn’t be more thrilled to be joining the Seven Olympics team for the Tokyo Games.

I grew up in Japan so this one is extra special.

Sunrise and Mark Beretta have you covered in the morning.

Joh Griggs and Luke Darcy will take over for the morning session.

I will be hosting afternoons with Matt Shirvington, leading into news with Mel Mclaughlin.

ABBEY GELMI and Hamish McLachlan have the evenings sorted.

You’ll be able to see it all on Channel 7 and the 7Plus app.

#100daystogo

10 Likes

Sonia Kruger is out and so is Basil Zempilas due to his Lord Mayoral commitments

4 Likes

What is Sonia’s excuse?

Who will commentate swimming?

Jim Wilson is also another out that but that is obvious as to why.

Basil will still be part of Seven’s commentary team. How he juggles with his Lord Mayoral commitments remains to be seen.

1 Like

They’ll be 2 linear channels (down from 3 for Rio) but the 45 online steams will be free on 7plus.

I remember you had to subscribe for the online offerings for Rio and PyeongChang (pricing was $19.95 and free for Telstra customer for the Rio Games).

1 Like

Good get with Greg Clark for the Rugby 7’s

1 Like