Tokyo Olympics Coverage

All could go, and all would be forced to have a streaming service

2 Likes

Making predictions about the future are always fraught with danger, because a lot can happen in a year let alone a decade or more.

But if you really must know mine…I think the five main FTA networks will probably still be around in some way, shape or form (whether they’re still on terrestrial TV or have fully made the transition to online-only services) come 2032. However, the Australian media industry will probably be in a far less healthy shape even than it is now!

3 Likes

i think the 5 main fta will be online only serives by the time 2032 comes around

2 Likes

Doubt it. Maybe try 2042 :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Back to the Tokyo Olympics… I bet Seven are really hoping that their are no more hiccups and the games go ahead as planned for 2021. It’s two weeks of sports and TBA’s wont fill up their weekly schedules while the games are on! lol.

I wonder if The Front Bar will do any specials for the games? They did for the Cricket. But may depend on licencing fees?

4 Likes

I would bet Paramount+ will be long gone by then considering Viacoms history - indeed 10 may have been sold on by then. We’ll see what happens with Stan, and you’d think if 9/10 are in the streaming space it’s only a matter of time before 7 want a piece of that action once again.

2 Likes

If Brisbane is locked in for 2032 I’d bet on 2026 through to 2032 being packaged together.

3 Likes

It was just an example.

1 Like

6 Likes

Who’s that?

Jana Pittman.

2 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/tokyo-olympic-torch-relay-off-streets-osaka-76917820?cid=social_twitter_abcn

An outbreak of COVID in Osaka has seen the declaration of a medical emergency and the torch relay relocated from city streets.

“Medical systems (in Osaka) are on the verge of collapse,” Yoshimura said at a news conference, attributing the rapid spike in infections to new variants of the virus. “Obviously it spreads more rapidly and it is more contagious."

3 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see how many presenters/commentators/reporters will actually be in Tokyo and how much will hosting/calling events from Australia instead.

I raise this because it was reported a few weeks ago that the BBC are currently planning to only send a ‘skeleton team’ to Tokyo which would be a fraction of the 455 people they sent to cover the Rio 2016 Olympics. Reportedly though, the number of people sent to Tokyo could scale up if the pandemic eases by July.

3 Likes

7 had a studio in Redfern for Rio 2016 with Jim Wilson anchoring from Sydney. Athens was done in their Southbank Studios.

Redfern was dubbed “Riofern”

4 Likes

Joke amongst Seven in the lead-up to last year was Dokyo (Docklands) :joy: But they’ve heavily utilised NEP Melbourne now, so might be there as well.

6 Likes

Agree I think nearly all of the presenters and commentators will be from NEP.

1 Like

I think they will send only 2 each of producers, reporters, cameramen and sound operators. The rest would yes be from NEP in Melbourne, although this would push the AFL to the ground, and they might use their new studios in Sydney if they’re ready (otherwise they might use Fox Studios in Sydney), or a mixture of both, or all three.

Or they could use that place they shot the Sunrise promos.

I hope it’s a purpose built Olympic Hub with a Commentators Lounge etc NOT using Sunrise studios

2 Likes