Tokyo 2020 Olympics

63 Australian athletes will march in to the stadium in tonight’s opening ceremony.

So far the ceremony is underwhelming.

I feel sorry for the Japanese not having a crowd.

1 Like

Ditto but with the worsening situation in Tokyo it’s completely understandable (under the context that for some reason the games are still allowed to proceed).

7 Likes

For those of you wondering Australia are 36th is that nations are marching tonight in the Japanese Alphabet. For Paris 2024 and LA 2028 we will be one of the last 3 nations to March.

1 Like

Guinea did a backflip and would take part in the Games. They participated in Parade of Nations in tonight’s opening ceremony.

Aussies taking on Japan in hockey getting underway! Go Kookaburras!

2-0!!

1 Like

German cyclist Simon Geschke tested positive to COVID.

2 Likes

Czech beach volleyball player Marketa Slukova tested positive earlier this week, knocking her and partner Barbora Hermannova out of the Tokyo Olympics, meaning the very first match of the Olympic beach volleyball tournament this morning was cancelled.

1 Like

Australia getting poor refereeing decisions at the women’s football. Frustrating.

Sweden has defeat the Matildas 4-2.

Last time Matildas played Sweden it was 0-0 this time it was the Swedish girls who got the upperhand.

We need Matildas to do better after the Games.

Lean day for Australia on day 1 with no medals won.

Where you really expecting any? They were the lesser sports plus most sports are still in first rounds and qualifiers

I thought the Aussies would have a chance for a medal in the road cycling race, especially since a few withdrew early from the recent Tour de France to prepare for this.

With swimming finals on day 2 there wasn’t really a big chance for a medal on day 1. We should hopefully get the ball rolling today at the swimming.

Great swim by Smith to earn Australia’s first medal in Tokyo. :3rd_place_medal:

I watched the swimming and Brendon Smith from AUstralia has won a bronze medal in the Men’s 400m Individual Medley race. Australia won it’s first medal in the competition.

2 Likes

The first of many medals in the pool!

2 Likes

Ash Barty has lost to her Spanish opponent Sara Sorribes Tormo.