Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Best is to move Tokyo to 2032 and bump Brisbane to 2036. In fact 2036 would be 80 years since the Melbourne 1956 Games and it would be a win-win situation. Should’ve been done in January.

Interestingly, he was at crux of a story a week ago about conflicts of interest with the selection process

1 Like

Some of the sporting events have already started! Unless major proportions of the athletes are infected such that there’s no way that a fair competition can be staged I just don’t see this happening.

1 Like

I know that, I watched a bit of the softball this morning.

Who knows what’s going to happen but I have a bad feeling that if a few infections pop up here and there, officials will take a conservative approach and shut the whole thing down.

a conservative approach would be not holding it at all.
The IOC has been running the dangerous/reckless approach throughout this whole process.

3 Likes

Especially with their latest statements saying “Cancellation would have been the easy way for us,” that cashing out on their insurance was an option but they went ahead anyway because “the IOC never abandons the athletes”.

So it was possible to cancel or defer another year, but they just didn’t want to for the sake of “the athletes” (BULL SHIT) rather than the health of the Japanese public and the public health of the countries which are participating when the athletes inevitably need to return home?

2 Likes

After helping secure Brisbane as the host of 2032 Olympics, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has been ordered by AOC boss John Coates to attend tomorrow night’s Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony. Palaszczuk said earlier this week she would not go to the event and would watch the telecast in her hotel room.

British skeet shooter Amber Hill is the latest athlete to withdraw from the Games, after testing positive to Covid before leaving the UK.

John Coates is the worst. Always has been.

6 Likes

Correct.

And no surprises Paul Murray was praising him last night.

1 Like

John Coates and his nose sitting prouder than a honeymooner’s dick over his mask

Is the Premier, Lord Mayor and Minister attending the ceremony or not? I am seeing conflicting reports and it is now confusing the hell out of me!

Queensland Premier is definitely going to the opening ceremony as part of IOC protocol. I think Federal Sports Minister Richard Colbeck will also attend as a representative of Australian Government.

I presume there will be Parisian representatives as well? And those from Los Angeles?

They’ll be in attendance plus Australia marching 4th last from 37th with protocol change in 2019.

3 Likes

Was not a surprise at all, Coates doesn’t hide his political allegiances very well - I still remember him implying that the Rudd/Gillard government was partially to blame for a decline in medals success after London 2012.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s how that works our Government is the reason Australia under-performed at London 2012.

Didn’t they cut AIS funding?

The African nation of Guinea had pull out of Tokyo Olympics, one day before the opening ceremony, due to a “resurgence of COVID-19 variants”.
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1110567/guinea-withdraw-from-tokyo-2020-olympics

So keen for these games. The only thing that will make this extended lockdown bearable. Australia will get around a huge performance by the Aussie athletes.

2 Likes