Today

$30,000 - jesus

1 Like

Deb Knight is an outstanding presenter, she’s really shining this week. We’ve said it before and ill say it again but imagine where the show would be now if Deb replaced Lisa in 2017. There’s only one presenter in common across the two years Today flopped (2018-19)…

8 Likes

Completely agree, so down to earth and brings a lot of warmth to the role.

Probably an unpopular opinion - but I would prefer it if she was made the permanent co-host.

If they wish, Ally could then become newsreader and do the Early News, or alternatively return back to Weekend Today, so that both presenters are located in Sydney (nothing against Bec Maddern).

5 Likes

Weekend Today needs both hosts replaced.

6 Likes

Agree.

The only candidate to replace Dickie really is David Campbell, so I reckon they should go back to what they were doing last year where DC does Today Extra Monday to Wednesday and Weekend Today, and Wilkins does Today Extra Thursday to Friday.

I reckon they should put David alongside Sylvia on Weekend Today to clear the decks for Belinda Russell to do Today Extra five days a week, and Natalia Cooper could do Sydney’s Friday and Saturday weather.

4 Likes

Yeah I agree Deb would be great as host but (sadly) cant imagine them replacing Ally now the show is actually competing with Sunrise. They would be more likely to put Deb on news I reckon, but she deserves a better role and they seem very happy with Alex doing news and sport atm. For weekend today, I reckon Sylvia Jeffreys and Charles Croucher could work. Would love to see Belinda host Today Extra all week.

4 Likes

By what metric though? Georgie is great but the ratings suggests that people didn’t resonate with the team and the ratings only started going down when she took over in 2018.

P.S. not trying to have a go at you but just questioning Wick’s train of thoughts.

Nine conducted a focus group (as networks do often) towards the end of 2018 to shape their 2019 team. Amongst those groups of people to reflect the thoughts of the audience, as was the case with prior groups, Georgie was the most favoured and that’s why she was retained into 2019. “Head and shoulders” is a strong phrase.

BTW, the ratings started to fall with the negative publicity surrounding Karl’s marriage. @channel10 They did fall from when Deb replaced Lisa. Karl and Georgie dropped further behind Sunrise but still won a dozen days in the 5CM in 2018.

Today closed the gap on Sunrise to less than 20,000 yesterday.

Sunrise was way ahead in Sydney, as well as its usual margins in Adelaide and Perth. Today won Melbourne. In Brisbane Today had 80% more viewers than Sunrise with its Brisbane audience the second highest audience for a breakfast show in any market (Sunrise, Sydney was the highest). Sunrise was a distant third in Brisbane.

12 Likes

I’m not saying there weren’t other factors, there were obviously lots of issues last year, and I have nothing against Georgie, I think she’s a great presenter on 9 news Sydney weekends. But you can’t deny Georgie wasn’t the best replacement for Lisa in 2017, given how the show rated across 2018-19.

2 Likes

Yes. I don’t think anyone can be better on Today than Lisa though.

3 Likes

Really? I think they’ve nailed it with Ally. She’s fantastic.

10 Likes

Agree. She’s great.

2 Likes

Agree. She should’ve been one of the frontrunners to replace Lisa when she walked.

4 Likes

She was a bit busy then

They showed Deb the WAP video at the end of todays show her face was hilarious

1 Like

Did anyone catch this? Would love to see the footage - they were talking about it this morning and I feel like I’ve missed out :joy:

17 Likes

Haha that’s hilarious! Thanks, mate.
Any chance of getting the actual footage uploaded? I would presume it’d be hard with the songs copyrighting, etc…?

2 Likes