Today

Sunrise has been around for 30 years or so. First usage of the brand was in January 1991 during the Gulf War

They don’t really count that as being the same program. But it will be 20 consecutive years of the current iteration come next year.

1 Like

I know. I’m talking about the current version.
There was also a version of Today on 7 in the early days of Australian television but thats not included in their number of years either.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Is it that Dark at 7am?

1 Like

This was in June, and Perth was 2 hours behind Sydney at that point.

3 Likes

Well it was the middle of Winter back then so Sunrise would’ve been pretty late back then.

2 Likes

Lisa Wilkinson hits back at Nine’s campaign of ‘untruths’ over pay claim

Some pretty clear repudiations by Lisa of claims coming out of Nine.

“Hugh Marks said that during my Nine negotiations I demanded $2.3 million. That is completely untrue and that figure is not even remotely close to what I discussed with him,” Wilkinson said, shedding new light on the secret contract negotiations she maintains failed after she attempted to narrow what she described as a “massive gender pay parity” with her male co-host Karl Stefanovic.

Wilkinson also scotched Marks’ claims that her role as editor-at-large of the HuffPost Australia website eroded her value to Nine because it prevented her from being “exclusive” to the network.

“The fact is, my three-year appointment to the Huffington Post was fully signed off and approved in writing by former Nine CEO David Gyngell and Nine’s director of News And Current Affairs, Darren Wick,” she said, giving insight into the meat raffle behind closed doors at one of the nation’s biggest broadcasters.

Wilkinson also exploded Marks’ claims that her contract with health supplement company NutraLife Vitamins was a “rival commercial opportunity”, as Marks said at the time. Such a suggestion, said Wilkinson, was “patently untrue”.

“The NutraLife ads were filmed in Nine’s Today Show studios, using a Nine advertising production team and done with the full support, knowledge and enthusiastic approval of Hugh Marks and Darren Wick just months before my termination,” she said.

“The truth is, that campaign contributed $1.5 million to Channel 9’s bottom line as the entire advertising campaign was wholly dependent on me taking on the role of ambassador for the brand and on those ads running on Channel 9 and, most particularly, on the Today show.”

The article also reports that Karl had similar commercial deals.

She strongly refuted Marks’ claim her on-air partner was more available to work on more Nine programs and was therefore “worth more money” because he hosted two shows, Today and This Time Next Year, as well as contributing to 60 Minutes and other news programs.

“I, too, had asked management if I could do a lot more for the network on other shows, but was told that for the continued success of the Today show I had to stay at the desk at all times ‘because Karl is away so much filming other shows for the network’,” she said.

9 Likes

Who says it’s live?

2 Likes

Review of Lisa’s book - out tomorrow.

But Wilkinson has a story worth hearing. And this book, out tomorrow (Nov 3), is so much more than a candid chronicle of the former Today star’s decade with – and exit from – Nine, despite current media obsession.

For those wondering whether she covers Karl Stefanovic’s 2016 marriage breakdown with Cassandra Thorburn, and his relationship with now-wife Jasmine Yarbrough, she does – relatively briefly, and extending that same care to how she shares her former Today co-host’s dark times. In fact, despite the fact that their TV friendship took a nose-dive… she praises Stefanovic’s work ethic and scatters warm anecdotes about him throughout the book.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/books-magazines/books/first-review-beyond-the-storm-whats-really-in-lisa-wilkinsons-it-wasnt-meant-to-be-like-this/news-story/5d76246ed82f1dad89ec785b7624ca32

An about-face from Ford once he actually read the book. “It’s terrific.”

7 Likes

Today live into all markets this morning.

Brisbane

Perth

8 Likes

Today Show doing a extended coverage of Cleo Smith and going through the 9am hour.

3 Likes

I guess they will (understandably) only focus on this for the next couple hours and ignore the Coronavirus figures.

Does anyone have a rundown of what they were featuring at 7am in the east?

A bit unusual - Nine News Perth showing the moment Cleo Smith was found alive was announced on Today.

7 Likes

Anyone got the video?

1 Like

@Leo_Puglisi6

9 Likes

And once the story was announced the schedule was swept clean.

4 Likes