Today

Depends what you deem as “successful”…it can have nothing to do with ratings. Literally, the day before they were last in the 5CM. No other duo have had as many days in third spot than Karl and Allison.

1 Like

Partnership.

Agree. Karl Stefanovic is Today, IMO.

Not so sure about that. What about the continuing technical issues and the fact they are always behind Seven on the 5-city totals?

The 4pm news is rating well.
A Current Affair has a lot less fluff these days and good interviews. Not to mention Saturday edition is holding up well.
60 Minutes still going strong.
Commissioning of another season of Under Investigation.

Not everything is about ratings.

4 Likes

This is honestly the type of thing I’d expect to read in a Press Release from Darren Wick or Mike Sneeby.

Since I’m personally not employed by Nine, I’m more than happy to question why the ratings of Today are still regularly behind Sunrise in Sydney.

Last I checked, there’s still a little while to go before he completely overtakes Steve Liebmann in the number of years on-air!

Moreso that Karl represents the current and next generation of Today viewers and will still have quite a few years to go, presumably.

Karl and Ally are great together, but the greatest years of the show were Karl, Lisa, Georgie, Ben and Stevie without a doubt. Ally and Karl get on well, but he and Lisa had outstanding chemistry until they didn’t.

11 Likes

Karl is only 46. Theoretically he can continue on for another 20-22 years.

3 Likes

Complete nitpicking of me but I really hate the look of the laptops on the desk. It’s 2021 surely they could find a way to tuck the computers in the desk.

2 Likes

So, because the desk was initially designed for the single-headed 6pm news, there is only one screen/computer tucked into the desk. I guess they could re-configure it to fit two, but that would probably cause interference for when there is only one person presenting? It is probably preferred to be centred.
I agree with you, but I’d say that’s the reason as to why they’re currently still visible on air.

2 Likes

Why do they need laptops? Lay a tablet flat on the desk if they really need something.

1 Like

Tablets aren’t as reliable and the rundown programs used aren’t yet available on them from what I am aware.

1 Like

Sunrise seems to survive without laptops or computers in the desk.

That’s because their desk has been built for the program, the one used for Today is the news desk.
As well as that Today studio is mostly automated as apposed to sunrise.

1 Like

I don’t follow…why does the type of desk effect whether they need access to a computer throughout the program? Sunrise could easily fill their desk up with laptops as well, but don’t.

And you can get “tablets” that are full-on laptops running Windows 10. One of these could sit flat on the desktop and would have all the same functionality of the laptops they use.

The desk is designed as a single presenter desk (ie one anchor) therefore the screens built in underneath the desk are installed for one anchor.

Sure I guess you could get Microsoft surface laptops, but not all rundown programs are touch screen able. Yes your idea is practical but sometimes the logistics behind it make it harder. Seven and 10 have / also use laptops so it’s likely a software reason why.

You also would then need to train people how to use it on a tablet style program even if it is able to as well.

1 Like

Actually all versions of the set should be capable of fitting two monitor screens underneath the desk.
The original Perth set still has two dating back from the Tim and Emmy days. Would be the same at QTQ and NWS.

Whether the Sydney desk has one or two though, i’m not sure. Would make sense given its use for Today?

1 Like

I agree it is probably capable, but with everything Nine has experienced over the last six months it’s probably a very low priority. They moved to the new studios, then the cyber attack happened and now they are in a COVID lockdown .

It is possible it’s been designed to hold monitors for two anchor, but maybe just not a practical timing for them to make it able at this stage.

Different view of the soft set

13 Likes

The Wide World of Sports set is beautiful!

Today should be using it and step away from the “too newsy” looking set.

1 Like