Today (2015-Sept 2020)

I have never been convinced by the idea of Georgie and Deb together and the more I think about it the less convinced I become. I really like both as individual presenters but they are too similar to be a good pairing, especially without a strong anchor as third host/newsreader.

Keeping an open mind but I strongly doubt this will be the team that moves to North Sydney in 2020.

1 Like

What sort of set is that? Looks ridiculously strange

The Sunday Telegraph is reporting Karl will be “gone by Easter”. A source claims management will use the external deal he did with Who magazine to publish wedding pictures as an excuse to cancel his contract. They’re also said to be unhappy about the Christmas Day airport meltdown and don’t believe his claim his Instagram account was hacked to like posts critical of the new Today team.

Nine is denying the claims.

3 Likes

Let me guess…that was from Annette "I stopped watching commercial breakfast TV (but will still happily get paid to write articles about it) Sharp? :confused:

2 Likes

As a current promo doing the rounds at Nine might say…

I call BS on that

(Like really, the airport meltdown I wouldn’t blame him and surely Nine wouldn’t either)

“Sydney Confidential” columnist Amy Harris wrote the piece.

1 Like

The story has some impeccable sources :roll_eyes:

“Spies deep within Channel 9’s Willoughby headquarters” and “strategically-placed insider”.

1 Like

Maybe they’re leaving their phones in management meetings and using their airbuds to listen?

2 Likes
8 Likes

I think it would be VERY unwise for any other media to bad mouth an all female presenting line up and I highly doubt they will. Sure if ratings fall further they will say the new today isn’t working but I highly doubt anyone will emphasis the all female line up is the problem #metoo!!!

I personally think the network should be commended on being bold and announcing an all female line up. As has been mentioned, it’s a point of difference which is exactly what the show needs.

My concern with the new line up is no one, yet anyway, really provides a reason to tune in. They are fantastic reporters and presenters but are they prepared to be edgy and maybe say something not everyone will agree with … someone the show I think needs.

Guess we’ll just have to wait to find out.

Pleased they’ve ditched the sun logo. Never liked it at all.

10 Likes

Couldn’t have said it any better.

I, for one, am looking forward to a new Today tomorrow. Georgie and Deb are both fantastic and respected in the industry so should be good to see them helm the flagship program.

Let’s also hope there’s some content and formattimg changes (slowly) filtering through.

1 Like

Alternatively, those viewers could grow up and realise “feminist” does not equal “man hating”, and that appointing two well qualified, respected, intelligent, classy women doesn’t represent any sort of “agenda”. But such people will believe what they want to believe, I suppose.

I too am looking forward to waking up with Today tomorrow morning. I’m not sold on Jones over Gilbert but GG and Deb Knight should be terrific. Bring it on.

9 Likes

Why does the show need to be edgy? It’s a news program with some discussions. It doesn’t need to have edgy or controversial views expressed. You can leave that to the nutbags they interview.

4 Likes

You’re telling me in this current media climate that this all didn’t come about because of the “man hating” we see now? They are definitely doing it as a statement and taking a risk to see if it works but the mindset has now changed. Not only women hating men but everyone hating men. Masculinity now is a bad thing and a man leaving his wife for whatever reason in a public arena fueled all the women who made it about themselves to bring someone down and it worked. Who is their next target?

I mean you have someone stalking a persons Instagram profile to see what they have liked ffs. thats an agenda. Good luck to them but the essence of the show I liked is gone (and thats not just Karl) it went downhill after Lisa left and I’m a fan of Georgie.

This article says Stevie is back on weather, surely they would be promoting that! (Sorry about the shit pic)

6 Likes

Bad move IMO. Have a completely fresh team and leave Steve on WT. I wouldn’t be promoting the fact they’ve ditched their current weather presenter, while she is on maternity leave either.

Where did they say Natalia has been ditched?

She may be moving into a different role, or Steve may only be on a one year agreement?

One would imagine that Nine are hoping that all the hype of more female presenters (Georgie & Deb as co-hosts, Brooke Boney as Today’s new Entertainment Reporter) will mask any potential negativity about Steve Jacobs replacing an on-maternity leave Natalia Cooper.

If such a move was to have similar results as the Late 2015/Early 2016 switch of weather presenters at Seven News Sydney (when David Brown became their main forecaster, while Sarah Cumming was unceremoniously demoted to The Daily Edition and later left TV), it will probably be seen as a success.

Masculinity isn’t bad, but some people’s idea of masculinity (not taking no for an answer, arrogance, using positions of power to take advantage of others) is being called out for what it is: pathetic.

8 Likes

The barber’s pole got in the way.