Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Link to a paywall-free news.com.au version of the Telegraph story.

2 Likes

But one of the biggest problems for Today is the chemistry between the two co-hosts. If they want to solve that problem then Ben might work. Brenton Ragless probably won’t move from Adelaide (particularly if Nine wants some stability in Adelaide where they get absolutely smashed by Seven).

Surprised that no one has suggested the possibility of Sylvia or Allison Langdon sitting next to Georgie in the future. It’s probably better than all of the current options presented.

2 Likes

What about Stevie Jacobs?

1 Like

Ratings for Today haven’t always been low. As I mentioned above, last week’s low rating number compared to the same day last year was 90,000 lower and 120,000 lower than the same day in 2016.

In 2016 today won 21 out of 40 weeks.

And in 2017 Today had won 11 weeks up until Lisa escaped from the show.

It’s been downhill since then.

6 Likes

be good if this bloke would actually acknowledge that he is Channel 7’s gossip queen when commenting on other shows on other networks.

5 Likes

Even so, he still gets plenty of stuff wrong, even about Seven.

Australian Breakfast TV has lost the plot (badly). But out of all of them, News Breakfast seems to be the most watchable based on content. Whilst Sunrise sucks big time at content, at least from an on-screen perspective Kochie and Sam seems to work well and seem genuine whereas from this viewer’s POV Karl and GG seem to despise each other.

2 Likes

Indeed. A gossip monger is difficult to take seriously as a source for anything, let alone a gossip monger in the employ of a rival network.

Having said that, I wouldn’t be the least bit disappointed if Stefanovic jumped / was pushed. He’s not as insufferably irritating as Koch, but he’s getting there. As for replacements… Fordham would be more of the same. Campbell probably doesn’t have the news background. Ragless made no impression on me when he’s filled in. Deb Knight would be a fabulous choice, but hopefully she’ll stay where she is.

Whoever it is, the choice should be based on competence. Catering to colonial-era parochialism may (supposedly) work for Sunrise but IMO it should be completely irrelevant in the 21st century. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: That anyone would actually base their viewing habits on what state(s) the presenters are from is completely and utterly pathetic. Australia really needs to grow out of state-based insularity.

4 Likes

Problem is, out of all of the options presented, none of them are ‘competent’ enough (or would want) to host Today. That’s why it’s best if they can go for an outsider replacement. At the moment, none of these options (Fordo, David, Brenton, Deb) seem likely or best for the role.

3 Likes

Looking happy three days ago.

2 Likes

Maybe Stevie Jacobs?

I personally don’t understand the argument behind appointing hosts/presenters based on the state they happened to be born in. Peter Overton was actually born in the UK, but he is Sydney’s #1 newsreader and has been for almost a decade now.

The same applies to the Today show. Let’s be honest here, the average viewer isn’t going to give a toss about where the newsreader or weather-man was born. They just want to watch a good-quality product and keep up-to-date with the latest in news, sport and entertainment before they go to work/school. That’s what the emphasis should be placed on, IMO.

19 Likes

Thank you!

I’ve been trying to explain this to SydneyCityTV for a while now.

Why don’t they move production of the weekend version to Melbourne? Also, fly in some Adelaide and Perth presenters to accommodate.

Well said. I couldn’t agree more.

2 Likes

Don’t think people really care where presenters and production comes from. Just get better presenters and a better format.

4 Likes

He only did for about a month when the WT EP resigned (I think he moved to 60 Minutes).

@David not reaally a fair call when it is only an interim position. But he did revitalise the content- covering more news stories/topics/interviews every hour. He also removed The Sunday Jury and replaced it with Weekend Agenda. Plus I am almost certain that at least 6 days of those four weekends WT won nationally.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I meant… whoops.

1 Like

Sylvia is swapping roles with Natalia this week. As mentioned earlier she is currently in Europe.

2 Likes

Karl Stefanovic is not being sacked from Today this week, and while acknowledging “the constant publicity surrounding issues with his personal life have had an impact” on him and Today, Nine CEO Hugh Marks also said he is fully backing Stefanovic, Georgie Gardner and executive producer Mark Calvert to "regain the trust and loyalty of our audience. And I have every confidence they will do it.”

Source: The Australian

Edit: Front page.

I noticed in that report Marks didn’t apportion any blame to himself for letting one of the shows greatest assets, Lisa Wilkinson, walk away.

5 Likes