Today Extra

A place to discuss Today Extra, previously known as Mornings

When we get used to the new name, admin can remove the Mornings part of the topic title :slightly_smiling:.

Archived thread Mornings

1 Like

So Nine is following NBC’s example by extending the Today brand into mid morning, making it a six hour marathon overall.
Will Sonia and David host from the same Today set or will they keep the old Mornings set?

2 Likes

Today extra! Really that sounds horrible tbh should’ve just left it how it is.

1 Like

[quote=“JohnsonTV, post:2, topic:670”]
Will Sonia and David host from the same Today set or will they keep the old Mornings set?
[/quote] Reading from the recent press release, Today Extra and Weekend Today will be similar while TODAY will be the more typical breakfast show. So I would same the same set as Weekend Today, just saying.

I mentioned this in the TODAY thread which I think is more relevant here;
*The other day, I was thinking Today should do an Extra like Sunrise, however, what I thought was weird about Sunrise’s is it never provides the meaning of extra. Extra means, *
*"added to an existing or usual amount or number…" and Sunrise just provides repeats. David sure, a sign of him more popular/familiarised with the Today audience and a replacement for Karl but Sonia… nooooo! I suppose the content of Today Extra and Mornings will be similar. I think we on MS have mentioned before, the networks are heading for the breakfast shows to be a lead-in for the 6pm News[quote=“Jordyn_x, post:3, topic:670, full:true”]
Today extra! Really that sounds horrible tbh should’ve just left it how it is.
[/quote] Something needed to be done, Mornings was woeful. Whether or not is an improvement, we will have to wait and see.

Branding wise, would it be safe to presume that Today Extra will use the exact same (or very similar looking) sets and graphics as the “main” Today Show? I also wonder what the logo will look like, I’m not sure if a “Today Extra” logo in the style of the current Today logo would work well TBH.

Content wise, I think that we might see more regular news updates but apart from that I don’t think it’ll be too dissimilar to the content of Mornings (including advertorials, of course!).

The new branding seems like a demotion to me. Can’t really see the point at this stage without seeing the show - perhaps it will all make sense then; possibly some of the secondary presenters that start on the Today show stay on longer into the morning to help weld the shows together.

So now in the ratings there will be?

Today 5.30
Today Early (ie 6-7)
Today
Today Extra
Today Extra Late (11-11.30)

3 Likes

I can understand why they have done it. Mornings up against The Morning Show - whoever came up with the idea to call it Mornings was silly.
Although it a fan it’s called Today Extra…

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:5, topic:670”]
Content wise, I think that we might see more regular news updates but apart from that I don’t think it’ll be too dissimilar to the content of Mornings (including advertorials, of course!).
[/quote] Out of the three morning shows, Mornings is certainly the most serious so I too would expect very few content changes.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:5, topic:670”]
Branding wise, would it be safe to presume that Today Extra will use the exact same (or very similar looking) sets and graphics as the “main” Today Show?
[/quote] Yes. Speaking of brands, I think this new show will destroy the Today brand, TBH, with infomercials :frowning: [quote=“TV.Cynic, post:6, topic:670”]
Today 5.30, Today Early (ie 6-7),Today, Today Extra, Today Extra Late (11-11.30)
[/quote] I now feel sorry for you calculating and receiving the figures. Unless it flows well, I can see what happened to Studio 10 You, people will switch off on the change of presenters like they have since Mornings started. Studio 10 You was a good show, very different, but should have been used as a segment instead of a separate show.

Here is an article, which I believe explains a little more:

2 Likes

It’s a shame for the fact that mornings received new graphics not so long ago

4 Likes

Yeah, Mornings had it’s last major relaunch at the beginning of last year!

2 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:11, topic:670, full:true”]
Yeah, Mornings had it’s last major relaunch at the beginning of last year!
[/quote] I have a feel that TODAY will go back to their yellow-blue colour scheme, so not a complete new look for Mornings, oh I mean TODAY Extra.

Sorry, but I had to post this hyperlink because it made be laugh out loud:

Mornings was actually used first (as the original title of Kerri-Anne’s show) before Seven launched The Morning Show up against it. Nine let the name rest but brought it back when Kerri-Anne was moved on.

2 Likes

Yep, I believe that Kerri-Anne’s program was originally “Mornings with Kerri-Anne” and then around 2009-10 it was retitled to be simply “Kerri-Anne”. After Kerri-Anne left Nine at the end of 2011, the “Mornings” brand was revived for the new Sonia & David-presented mid-morning program in 2012.

1 Like

Wasn’t Good Morning Australia (with Bert Newton) also known as The Morning Show? It was because at that time GMA was also on air.

1 Like

and they’re bloody horrible tbh

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. It was all too much having them match the set and there was no longevity in them.

I really hope the new set and graphics package is more cohesive, but no doubt it will just be a slight adaption from the regular Today Show.

Mornings wasn’t a great name but Today Extra is terrible. There’s a danger of damaging the brand when you have infomercials associated with Today.

3 Likes

I thought the graphics package and set launched last year was brilliant - best I’ve seen for many years in Australia. I guess each to their own.

1 Like

Nine’s advanced guide from Jan 31 still has Mornings Summer scheduled. Has Today Extra been pushed back?