Today (2016 revamp)

Subtle yet sophisticated and crisp look. Much more underwhelming than Sunrise but probably more comfortable for the viewer. Comparing the two, Sunrise seems very OTT and almost stressful in a way. I’ve always watched Sunrise but I am liking the look of Today!

Thank you Nicholas for the screencaps. Notice the Today logo in the first two caps? It has the caption “still the most popular…” which is certainly a dig at Sunrise.

3 Likes

The set is a slight improvement, but I’m still not a fan. Too many different panels in between the screens, the desk is too small / too newsy. I still hate that it looks like they’re in a studio when they’re presenting in front of the plasma. The graphics are so similar to 9 news. I could go on, but it’s all very underwhelming.

2 Likes

OK…I’m going to say it. The new/refreshed Today looks great IMO and dare I say it, actually more polished than Sunrise’s recently refreshed look. Throw things at me right now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure, it’s more of an evolution rather than a revolution of the brand but I don’t think that’s always a bad thing. The graphics definitely look cleaner than the Today we’ve had for the past few years and something I think will age considerably better than previous packages.

10 Likes

I’m with you here.
Only thing I’m disappointed with is the set. Would’ve preferred a makeover but oh well :stuck_out_tongue:
Certainly prefer these graphics over Sunrise.

1 Like

Sometimes simple works best, and I think the Today show has pulled this off. Adding the blue really gives the program a point of difference to Sunrise, as previously the graphics and colour scheme looked very Sunrise-esque.

You also mention that it looks too newsy, well believe it or not but Today is a news program.

I do however agree about the plasma thing and I think they should go back to the old 2005 set with the window that opened up to the bbq area.

Finally, I would just like to say I don’t think this revamp is underwhelming. I think they ticked all boxes

2 Likes

Agree with you there 110% lol

Nah not at all. Just surprised.

There’s bits about the refresh that works really well like the city backdrop behind Karl & Lisa along with the Today bug. However there are other elements which are underwhelming like the soft set and the lower-thirds (eg; weather underneath the Nine bug and how the extra info is displayed below the main headline).

Is it better than Sunrise’s relaunch - not really. Both had things/elements which improved the on-air look/appearance while there’s other aspects which don’t stack up when you put them up against the positives

1 Like

To me that looks like its on Karl’s mug

6 Likes

Looks ok But prefer sunrise’s relaunch. There’s nothing special about the look IMO

Very basic graphics package… Don’t like all the blue but atleasts it cleaner! Sets average also.

1 Like

But Sunrise was an overhaul of the program itself. Today’s is pretty much just a redo to keep it fresh

1 Like

Nine News-style graphics. A step backwards. Sunrise 1 Today 0 on revamps

1 Like

Today Perth News running for 15 minutes each half hour

EDIT: Seems on the hour is 15 minutes, on the half hour is 10.

1 Like

I definitely agree about this. Today’s graphics were better. Now they’ve gone backwards to match Sunrise. What’s the obsession with massive white banners on our screens?

We get bigger TVs for bigger pictures but then the networks cover the picture with rubbish.

1 Like

For the set and desk all I gave to say is ewwwwwww looks horrid

2 Likes

At least with this package its hard to notice if yhe win logo is actually a cover up

1 Like

Mixed so far. Can’t decide if it’s an improvement or just another average replacement. The set does look more open and airy, and I like that they’ve tried to incorporate Today with Nine News’ branding a bit more.

I can see it lasting 1-2 years though.

3 Likes