Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Former long-time Nine newsreader and weather man Brian Bury should be enticed out retirement - he could do both jobs. :smiley:

1 Like

Another wildcard…Larry Emdur? He’s got history on 9. He has great presence on air and could handle the serious stories. If he could leave Seven, would they consider him?

2 Likes

Damn you @spw68 - you’ve made me want Today with Georgie Gardner and Mark Beretta now.

3 Likes

Is contracted to Seven’s TMS for the past 11 years?

Doesn’t mean he can’t leave at some point

2 Likes

Good to see News Corp’s flagship papers leading their front pages with this very important story! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Whichever way you look at it, it’s big news and will likely sell newspapers. They weren’t not going to do this…

1 Like

1 Like

Oh they’ll keep going until he’s divorced or dead

The Australian is reporting Nine is looking to “blow the whole thing up” and is considering an all female hosting team in order to win back female viewers. Deb Knight and Allison Langdon are mentioned as possibilities. They also assert Nine intends to insert some Melbourne personalities into the show to broaden its appeal.

10 Likes

Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb have been presenting NBC Today since Matt Lauer’s termination with Kotb assuming full-time role on 2nd January 2018 and have been successful with good ratings 12 months on.

2 Likes

Sarah Harris has just had another baby…i cant see her leaving her Studio 10 gig to do all those weekday even earlier mornings :joy:

3 Likes

This is true but not quite the same situation. Hoda was the next in line and had already moved to the desk as the unofficial third host months earlier. They’ve only recently taken back the top spot over GMA after adding Craig Melvin to the desk to make it a trio.

If any format change is going to be taken from the US, it should be the trio-anchor format. Every major US morning program, except 1 has three anchors now - GMA, Today, CBS This Morning, Fox & Friends and Morning Joe. Additionally, David Campbell could be a great replacement. GMA’s first anchor was a soap opera actor, one of Today’s most famous anchors was a former athlete. The morning shows hardly have any journalistic integrity as it is, why is an all journalists-lineup necessary?

3 Likes

Honestly, I’d pay to see Jana Wendt hosting Today, today.

1 Like

Weekdays with Georgie Gardner and Melissa Doyle, Tracy Vo with News/Weather.
Weekends with Tim Davies and Deb Knight.

Do something completely different and don’t have an effwit weather presenter. Do straight news and comprehensive weather TOH and BOH, drop out at :27 and :57 for statewide local news.

Today was always better when it was a news program. Get rid of Blocky/Cash Call/Bonehead Bingo or whatever it’s called these days and go hard on breaking news and dig deeper into the why/how/when.

Leave the “Agenda” stuff for Today Extra.

Get the local reporters into the community for longer “news” stories that can be adapted for both 6pm and Today. Keep the city-centric stuff to a minimum and include the regions.

That would be a start

4 Likes

Something Nine also needs to do is go back to a 5 or 10 second station ID with talent in them.

At the moment they rely solely on promoting Today during the news with little 10-15 second sweeps and it’s not enough.

They need to use strong, local and passionate sells to get people sampling again.

A first start would be what they did in the mid 90s with those 5 second location shots with “You’re watching Channel 9” and “You’re watching the Mid North Coast’s Channel 9” complete with the usual beach/lighthouse shots. Get local again.

Get the new hosts to each cap city (and even perhaps Townsville, Cairns, Rocky, Mackay, GC, Newcastle, Gong, Canberra etc etc) and do promos for why Today is now different.

They need to be passionate sells.

6 Likes

The 90s are all the rage these days so clearly the best option is Liz Hayes and Tracy Grimshaw with Bruce Paige on news.

May I remind some of you, when you write your critical and sometimes cruel post, you are talking about real people. These are people who just like you and me, live, breathe and have a heart. Be considerate with what you say.

I think it’s very sad 14 years of incredible broadcasting has come to an end like this. Say what you like about Karl, but there is no one in this country who can handle rolling coverage as well as he does. He was, and still is the best in the business when it comes to that.

Moving forward, I think all female hosts is bold and brilliant … exactly what the show needs. I agree that Tim Davies is a brilliant option then for news.

14 Likes