Today (2015-Sept 2020)

If you were to ask me, I think Sunrise’s current look would’ve received almost universal praise from Media Spy…if it was launched around 2012-14 rather than 2016. It looks far too clunky and cluttered after only three months or so since the relaunch, I’d hate to think what Australia’s media enthusiasts will be all saying by the time Sunrise is next due for a relaunch in 2020 or whenever.

In comparison, I personally think that Nine’s current look for Today looks cleaner/crisper and simply works better in 2016. Yes, the current look of Today is quite simple compared to the current look of Sunrise and even some of Today’s previous packages but simplicity isn’t a bad thing in TV presentation if it’s done well (in comparison to around 2006-07 when it seemed some graphics packages on Australian TV at the time could’ve been made in PowerPoint, they were that bad!).

Of course, you and others are going to completely disagree with my opinion but that’s perfectly fine by me! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If only more people in the media did this when politicians say and do deplorable things.

Karl Stefanovic calls out Peter Dutton for ‘un-Australian’ comments on refugees

looks like he is taking a page from Waleed’s book and editorialising.

2 Likes

[quote=“TVHead, post:447, topic:101, full:true”]
looks like he is taking a page from Waleed’s book and editorialising.
[/quote] I thought the exact thing when I was watching it this morning. I am not complaining- I wouldn’t mind if Today’s lifestyle segments were replaced like things from The Project. Guess who wants another Gold Logie next year…

he sometimes does this, as does Lisa. Not really new.

1 Like

Not necessarily a new thing with Today either. They’ve always been fairly tough on pollies.

Remember when Lisa trapped Abbott with a question, showing that he had lied either on Today or on 7.30 the previous night?

1 Like

that’s very different to making an editorial.

Sure, but Today probably saw the resonance that The Project and Waleed in particular were getting with monologues and decided Karl should give it a go.

And look what happened! Social media loved him, the show got praise, and Karl got a few noteworthy articles on Fairfax sites. It’s not often that any commercial breakfast show gets a good mention in newspapers or online spheres, so that alone is fairly notable.

2 Likes

how long til his mate Fordo is attacking him for being a lefty stooge though?

Friday (20.05.16) : Sylvia co-hosting with Karl this morning with Natalia Cooper on the news.

Yes saw that this morning, did they say why Lisa was absent?

[quote=“Wade, post:455, topic:101, full:true”]
Yes saw that this morning, did they say why Lisa was absent?
[/quote] Karl said she was ‘off this morning’. I suspect it wasn’t planned as Natalia is doing a double shift today, if it was they would have got Aislin.

1 Like

As I have predicted, Wendy isn’t returning to Today on the weekend, Jayne Azzopardi has been announced as the permanent news reader. @Salty @SydneyCityTV She began as of Saturday 21 May 2016 with Natalia returning to her usual role.

3 Likes

Good to hear that Jayne Azzopardi now has a well deserved permanent presenting role! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wendy will be missed but given she moved to Queensland maybe she will take up a role in the Brisbane or Gold Coast newsroom and occasional national fill-in?

give her the Nine Queensland local bulletin!

2 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:459, topic:101”]
Good to hear that Jayne Azzopardi now has a well deserved permanent presenting role! :slight_smile:
[/quote] Somewhat agree, she does do pretty good. While I commend Calvert for exposing upcoming talent, I am afraid the ferocity of breakfast isn’t the right place for it, likewise on the 6PM News. Based on ‘family’ morals highly represented on Sunrise, Today should be replacing their current staff with regulars not young and coming stars, IMO.[quote=“lepatron, post:460, topic:101”]
Wendy will be missed
[/quote] Absolutely. Her and Deb had very good chemistry, and I think (like Alicia Loxley and Georgie Gardner) her talents will be wasted on local content.

I don’t know why some on here like Deborah Knight so much, but I am on the opposite side of things.

I think the reason so many people on Media Spy (myself included) like Deborah Knight because she’s a great presenter. Simple as that.

4 Likes

From the Channel 9 satellite feeds - reporter and crew joking around off-air waiting for a press conference to start (from about 0:44 onwards):

2 Likes