Today (2015-Sept 2020)

I wanted them to be replaced for last year’s relaunch. They actually have plain grey inserts that cover the stripes for WWOS and Elections, via @SamSamTV :

https://mediaspy-org-s3.s3.dualstack.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/1/d/1d0a2a8c29ff5516fb6ed27d229831c12a8da83b.png

No expense incurred. Why can’t they just use them?

6 Likes

Do they record special intros for the Perth bulletins or do Perth just cut in at suitable (or unsuitable) points?

So what do they do during the commercial breaks? Well it’s this

2 Likes

Tuesday was much better. Today was less than 50k behind Sunrise and they won Brisbane and Sydney.

8 Likes

Desk caps:

13 Likes

The sooner they cover up those ugly blue and yellow panels and update the supers and title cards with the new look Today logo, the better.

11 Likes

So here’s how I think of the revamp so far:

• New graphics (with the many colours and circles) are so much better than last year’s pineapple in a square graphics. Though I agree they need to make it more consistent. How about the circle logo plus surroundings in the square instead of the pineapple and how about the yellow (from the promo) on the outline of the supers and the indigo blue for the writing?

• Haven’t yet been able to see episodes or videos of the team working together yet but from the pictures they already look much more cohesive than last year’s group. I’ve never been the biggest Karl fan but he seems to be doing alright from the looks of things and brings back some familiarity to the team. Now let’s hope he doesn’t get scrutinized by No Idea and the Fail on his personal life.

• Again, because I haven’t been able to see a full episode I cannot make a judgment but the content seems to be slightly better and relevant. Of course it could be due to the bushfires but they need to keep up this level of news coverage in the future. News is their strength an can provide a worthy point of difference to Sunrise.

Overall not bad. I see some potential in this team although Nine needs to be patient and slowly evolve the show with this team. They will continue to improve over time and if they find their groove, viewers will find them too.

It’s a shame Weekend Today got stuffed around again as a result of these changes. I mean, Richard Wilkins? No sports presenter? Such a shame as Bec Maddern, Lara Vella (temporary) and Lauren Phillips are fantastic additions but are let down by these other changes to the team.

6 Likes

But not by that much - only by 5K and 3K respectively. But good to see some Sydneysiders “make the switch” back to Today.

2 Likes

While that does look better, personally I’d prefer it if they used the Wide World or Sports desk and have the new graphic animate. Hopefully we will see something like this with the move to North Sydney and this is just a cost-saving solution until then.

2 Likes

Is that a screen in the front of the current desk, or is that a static panel they’ve changed out? I always assumed it was a screen and that they never bothered to do anything innovative with it.

Pannel - other wise the graphics probably would have been changed earlier

1 Like

True. Now that I look back at the above caps, the pineapple box logo looks so out of place on the LHS of the screen and plonked on that decent looking opening title card. I wish they’d change it already!

1 Like

Didn’t take him long.

He should really keep his head down and work on his own product

22 Likes

Michael Pell’s attitude is the perfect representation of the culture at Sunrise and Seven in general. Typical ‘Holier than thou’.

He should really take a chill pill and do something else other than boasting about Sunrise’s ratings and talk about Today negatively. Why not evolve your show rather than looking at your opposition?

13 Likes

Agreed, Ever since he got the gig he got what he wanted - gutted Mel for Samantha. Idiot.

5 Likes

Sounds like NewsComAu are just trying to create headlines and stir the pot.

They made it sound like those were new quotes but quite sure those quotes were in a previous article that was published soon after Georgie and Deb were kicked to the kerb. There seems to be nothing new there.

3 Likes

Pell has a crack at Rob McKnight in Twitter saying the interview was yesterday when Sunrise won all markets on Monday, not interviewed today when Today won East Coast.

Rob suggested it was a way to generate publicity because they lost yesterday on the East Coast.

Here’s an incredibly shocking revelation: All networks have treated on-air talent (and probably even behind the scenes personell, but of course those stories rarely ever come out) rather poorly over the years, but of course we’d be here forever and a day if we were to list each and every example in detail.

2 Likes

Any good EP should frankly be doing both - while a show should run its own race, it shouldn’t ignore what their opposition are doing as well.

Is he really an ‘idiot’ though? Considering the continued ratings success Sunrise has had after they made the transition from Mel to Sam (not to mention seeing off multiple iterations of Today), it suggests the move didn’t harm the show.

The view you outlined reminds me of the obsession some members on here have about how Chris Bath was ‘wrongly’ replaced by Mark Ferguson even though Seven News in Sydney was really struggling in the ratings against Nine News

Since the interview was most likely pre-planned, I really wouldn’t be reading too much about the so-called significance of the fact that it was published today.