Ticker News

Doesn’t matter, it’s being published by a news organisation that should hold itself to journalistic standards, even if the talking heads don’t.

Yes, but they reuploaded it to twitter, which is what @Snoozenooze meant.

I don’t think it matters, cause it wasn’t an issue.

The guest cited that the reports were unconfirmed, it was made clear at the time and subsequently in the tweet that was posted.

A non-issue personally. If they had reported it as fact, it would be a different situation IMO.

4 Likes

I didn’t say he was, I said I assumed you weren’t at his age.

All I’m saying is, no 19 year old should be the Executive Producer of a breakfast news show.

1 Like

You’re entitled to that, just as I’m entitled to not argue with someone I don’t know.

4 Likes

lol this thread.

2 Likes

I thought Jack is in his 20s…?

Companies like Channel 9 have employed young people as young as 17 to work in the regional or Darwin newsrooms behind the scenes. Infact I started as a young teenager doing autocue and sometimes sound for a news bulletin years ago.

I understand this isn’t on the same scale as an Executive Producer but my point around younger people getting into media still stands.

3 Likes

Thread has gone off the rails, @Ahron thanks for the insight on the mechanics of Ticker. Interesting.

4 Likes

It’s just pathetic, isn’t it?

I’d like to see members here create their own service like Ticker and let us all judge and try and wear them down. It’s just disgusting.

Some of the things that come out of here are horrible. We are all on here because of our interest in media. We should be championing and supporting up and coming new media outlets that also contribute here. Its Rob McKnight all over again. We were blessed to have an executive producer from one of the big 3 join us on here and contribute to discussion but all people do is attack and judge.

Such a shame. I wish Ahron luck. Ticker might not be for me but I dont feel the need to slam him and his product day in day out.

7 Likes

agree 100%

1 Like

You seem to be suggesting they should be immune from constructive criticism just because they participate on this forum? That’s not how things work.

I don’t believe anything posted on this thread has been unjust. People are naturally going to be curious on how such a startup is funded, and they’re justifiably going to be critical if they see questionable content or decisions (e.g the poor attempt at trying to go viral with the whole Ben calling Alana a slut thing). Considering Ahron spent a significant amount of time addressing questions yesterday in a very positive and informative manner, he seems quite capable of handling it.

5 Likes

I’m not suggesting that.

1 Like

I think a lot of the polarising opinions started when Ben joined the breakfast show tbh. His comments about calling his cohost a slut, didn’t help.

4 Likes

For me personally this product or channel (whatever you want to call it) seemed to go totally off-brand when the Breakfast show was launched.

Having “celebrity” interviews with nieche “celebritities” and putting a polarising male breakfast co-host in the position (as opposed to someone with authority or news experience). I will admit he works on something like Ben, Rob and Robbo but here it falls flat.

I thought it was a business and news venture?

I’m not trying to be negative. I’m just saying it seems off-brand.

1 Like

We are a biz and news network, just not how you expect it from say CNBC, ABC or Bloomberg. They have cornered that market and they all do a great job. We can never compete there and it would be a huge mistake to try. The last thing the world needs right now is dry tv.

Our audience is under 45s, specifically we have built profiles around our target viewer. And our research shows that they don’t just care about the latest business headlines, they actually want to know some pop too. They want to hear opinions as well as find out breaking news headlines.

For sure, in the first few weeks, the brekky show went to where the hosts felt comfortable, and it’s a constant work in progress. I like hearing from celebrities about how they launched their business. We had one of the Housewives on to talk about her tea range business and spoke about the media bts going on with Foxtel.

We have Fred Schebesta - founder of finder.com.au on every week giving his insights.

After week two, Jack and I changed the format so it follows a half hour rundown. More news, more market info, more weather, more interviews with Aussie business owners surviving through COVID19. Constantly updated.

You can’t expect it to be perfect from day one. Remember when Leckie took over 7 in the early thousands and for the first year ratings went backwards? Eventually they built a mega network of shows brick by brick.

1 Like

The suspected case of the bubonic plague currently in the news was reported on Ticker this morning as being in Mongolia, but it is actually in the Inner Mongolia region of China. There were two cases of the bubonic plague in Mongolia last week.

CNN report:

It’s the same as confusing Ireland and Northern Ireland, North Korea and South Korea, Mexico and New Mexico.

3 Likes

Why, not? I can’t see a problem with it!

1 Like

Once again, and I can’t believe I have to repeat myself for a third time, I’m not saying young people shouldn’t be working in a newsroom or the industry… I’m saying they should not be responsible for the final product going to air.

As do I, I’m allowed to question (and disagree) with his decision to employ someone so young as the executive producer however and that isn’t “slamming him.”

Exactly, and while some comments have been bordering on less constructive and more attack… not all of them are. It’s the culture these days, if you’re not with me - you’re against me.

Well, if you can’t see the problem with it then no amount of my spelling it out will help.

6 Likes

Earlier in this thread I was asked about numbers for The BRR Show. We’ve just done an audit and currently we have 70,000 viewers a week.

That’s through Ticker, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.

There’s a long way to go but I’m happy with that at this point in time.

6 Likes