Ticker News

Incorrect. It’s going to be extended by another half hour in coming weeks.

I’ve been pretty flat out Travis tbh.

1 Like

Some great insight there @Ahron. It is great that you’ve clarified some points that have been asked repeatedly around here.

2 Likes

People are always cautious about something new. But let me put its this way - we have had investors and partners in the business who ask me far tougher questions than any of you, but when they see that we actually deliver, they sign up.

When they come in to our studio and see what we’ve created, they sign up. It’s just a shame that a lot of the comments on here come across as angry.

6 Likes

No, it won’t.

2 Likes

Ok. This made it sound like all programs were being pushed aside for the first 30 mins of every hour.

1 Like

The midday hour will still be Spotee Your Call Hour which is a news show about stocks and the 1pm will be the BRR, which also covers the day’s news with opinion. We do news a bit differently at Ticker. It’s the same as Ticker Today - a news program with lots of interviews.

2 Likes

Fair enough. It just seemed that as soon as the negatives came out, you disappeared :slight_smile: but glad it was just a coincidence and thank you for the insight :slight_smile: I am a big fan of ticker and really do hope you succeed.

Only speak for myself, not my intention. I don’t understand your business but that’s not your issue, just my lack of knowledge of the business model. In regards to Jack, I wasn’t being nasty, just worried about someone getting too much too soon, with a lot of pressure which I think is a sensible concern that I’m sure you’d be aware of too knowing your background.

I also noticed the negativity began as soon as we announced we were launching a brekky show.

If I spent all my time on here worrying about what people think, I’d go mad. I’ve watched it impact people I’ve worked with in the past, so I know the best thing to do is focus on the product and work constructively with the team. It’s a huge thing to launch a new show on a new set. I’ve worked on productions with huge budgets, but on the night, one tiny thing goes wrong and the whole production falls over, so I don’t stress.

When Sunrise began in the form we know it, they had their tech problems ironed out from when it was originally a news show. I remember asking Adam Boland why they were using the news set instead of building a new one for the new direction of the show, and he told me he had to prove the business case before he got the resources.

We had to launch with what we had, then make it better.

The “noise” doesn’t make for better decision making, and I know McDonalds didn’t get the formula to the perfect chip the first time they threw it in the deep fryer. Every day the team debriefs about what went wrong and what went right. And that’s exactly how you improve.

9 Likes

Fair enough. TBH, I don’t actually have to explain anything to anyone, as it’s not a publicly listed company, and we don’t have to answer to a senate committee or the taxpayer.

I don’t mean that in a negative or critical way, but more in the sense that I think we as Australians feel we have some ownership of our TV stations. Because they use the public airwaves, or receive taxpayer support. We don’t do either. We are like Netflix, designed for the new world, not trying to replicate the old broadcast model. ABC is stuck trying to keep up wth what it did, while trying to evolve into what it needs to be.

Ticker is one of a growing number of OTT broadcasters around the world that are doing this. I just read that Ten lost $200m this year and while I want FTA to succeed because I’m a nerd and I love the grand nature of it all, I think they are also doing what we are doing.

Chris Berg wrote an interesting article yesterday about the direction of the media industry, where he said it’s no longer platforms, but rather a factory. That old media will die or survive while giving up on platforms, and trying to minimise costs to become journalism factories whereby idealism wins in a bid to get people to subscribe.

He predicts there will be new entrants who start where the others are going. I’d like to think Ticker is doing that from scratch.

5 Likes

Absolutely, just explaining my ignorance on business in general. I hope more things like this pop up, god knows we need more media diversity, especially with original reporting and journalism.

2 Likes

Having checked out Jump start occasionally on catchup (with the time difference its too early for me!), it has definitely improved. Still not sold on the relationship between Ben & Allanah and either she speaks louder or her mic is too loud. But it has definitely improved from day 1.

3 Likes

This reads like a damage control press release. Also no mention of the derogatory comments made about a female staff member. No apology and no sackings.

1 Like

Alana has an FM radio background, so she. does get quite enthusiastic during the show. As I mentioned, we have invested in some new audio gear which is on the way which hopefully, fingers crossed, fixes the audio issues. We’ve also done more to sound proof the building, which, due to the floorboards, provides a lot of echo. Unfortunately the floorboards looks great so I don’t want to cover them up entirely!

Hey hit machine, not entirely sure what you’re referring to.

I don’t cancel people for a mistake, I counsel them.

There isn’t a presenter in the world who hasn’t said something off the cuff they wish they hadn’t. You learn, make a promise to yourself to do better and. move on.

There are two things I expect from all our hosts and producers - integrity and credibility. But I also give them freedom as well. If your workplace culture is to sack people for every mistake because someone on the internet expects it, you end up with a bad culture and no-one wanting to work there. As I said, Ticker has a great culture, so when something goes wrong, we can fix it quickly.

You seem entitled to an explanation as if Mediaspy is a Senate Estimates hearing, and media owners are commanded to appear before it.

Jokes aside, I really enjoyed writing that piece last night - if it came across as damage control, that’s your bias working against you.

2 Likes

The difference, though (and yes, I’m assuming), is that you didn’t walk into that job as the editor, or even the sub editor, or even a journalist going solo on the road.

That is the point this forum was making.

2 Likes

"I’m seeing some unconfirmed posts on Twitter” hooley dooley that’s not journalism

1 Like

Hey Snoozenooze. He’s not a journalist, he’s a guest, giving an opinion. He’s not introduced as a journalist, and a journalist didn’t say it. From what I recall, you’re actually allowed to have a conversation in this country still, so long as you don’t report it as fact.

5 Likes

He’s not the editor or sub editor - for starters they are news paper terms. He produces a program with oversight from me, as Managing Editor. And plenty of young people staff newsrooms on their own around the country. I’ve worked with young producers and EPs right through my career - they’re not the only person in charge in the room.

I was 20 and the solo newsreader at 3AW, writing and producing and presenting news bulletins for Victoria and across the nation, often working on my own, especially overnight and weekends.

If I made a mistake the news director would correct me. Pretty common.

3 Likes