Ticker News

I’d say this is spot on!

1 Like

My take is that’s it’s somewhere in between, although I don’t think the main aim to actually get viewers but is instead to provide content for “partners” (advertisers). The produce a “news feature” showcasing a product. Probably get someone from that company on to talk about it as well. They then have a video which the product/company can share showing that they’ve had media coverage, because something that’s been featured in the media has more legitimacy that something no one’s heard of.

But of course Ticker has the same problem. They also need legitimacy. So they become a news channel. When people check out who they are, they have news. In a short snippet, it looks like they know what they’re doing. When you’re simply doing background research, no one is sticking around long enough to notice what gets missed. So to provide the aim of giving the advertorial some credibility, they don’t need to do news well, they just need to do it.

That’s also why they have big flashy offices now. It makes them look more legitimate than a dingy upstairs office in Burnley. They didn’t build the new offices from profits of services provided. The big flashy office (and more so the appearance of such) IS part of the service provided.

6 Likes

100 viewers on Twitter of their Queen funeral coverage (including it going up when I opened it a couple of times). This is the two hour long livestream.

How did they get coverage of the funeral? Surely BBC would have charged for coverage.

2 Likes

Why do many of their shows have:

• hosts at studios in Ticker Park in Melbourne
  • sitting in front of a screen showing the New York or London skyline
  • Speaking in an Australian accent
3 Likes

I believe it was licensed on a non-profit basis - so Ticker probably paid a nominal fee for the raw feed.

3 Likes

There appeared to be two levels of access as in the UK the BBC, ITV and Sky, who worked together on the pooled feed, had access to more footage than the pretenders like GB News had - for example the latter didn’t have footage from inside Westminster Abbey as the guests arrived.

3 Likes

I was surprised to find that GB News weren’t part of the pool - I know they are part of the Westminster pool, and thought they might have also been allowed to join in on the Queen’s funeral.

1 Like

They shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near it. They can’t get basic technical standards correct when they handle the Westminster stuff, never mind events of historical significance.

The BBC, ITN/ITV and Sky will have been planning coverage of this for decades. Indeed I suspect Sky News only became involved after being on air for well over a decade, probably when they were added to the rotation of producing the Queens Speech.

3 Likes

Did anyone realise it was still going? Let alone a blueprint for 2030?

3 Likes

Anyone who wants news is not going to watch Ticker. They seem to swap and change their direction from covering domestic news, to international news, to tech news and now back to domestic politics from Canberra? Plus the place closes up on weekends and evening.

2 Likes

That’s right. A new Canberra Parliament House team? Just like people in the UK or South Africa want to watch.

Want to watch the latest news at 11pm on a Saturday? Forget it

1 Like

Ticker coming to Fetch from March 1st

2 Likes

Still baffled by how they survive but fair play to them that they do.

Which way round would payment go to be on Fetch - I’m guessing they’d have to pay to be part of the platform rather than being paid to be part of it.

3 Likes

More information on Ticker joining Fetch, including new shows

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

:flushed:

2 Likes